1 5710 48SFP+ 6QS+ Standby 0 2612P08 None /2QS28 Switch
    2 5710 48SFP+ 6QS+ Master 0 2612P08 None/2QS28 Switch

display irf
    MemberID Role Priority CPU-Mac Description
    1 Standby 32 00e0-fc0f-8c02 ---
    *+2 Master 30 00e0-fc0f-8c03 ---
    --------------------------------------------------
    * indicates the device is the master.
    + indicates the device through which the user logs in.

The bridge MAC of the IRF is: 5477-8a19-4c40
    Auto upgrade : yes
    Mac persistent : 12 min
    Domain ID : 2

Some servers are connected to the switches with two cables. Now I need to upgrade the firmware using issu. During the upgrade one switch reboots and appears again in the devices and IRF listing and then all servers stop responding for Ping while 4-5 seconds. Is this normal behavior? I thought the issu was designed to avoid communication outages. Additional info: Two test Servers are not connected via LLAG.

Very appreciate your answers.

• 2.  RE: Connection breaks during firmare upgrade [issu]

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 22, 2022 11:20 AM
    Hello,

"Some servers are connected to the switches with two cables."

The above doesn't explain how exactly those two links are used to connect logically to your IRF (supposing that, as an essential prerequisite, cited cables should connect the Host to both IRF members).

I mean: are each pair of cables configured as a logical Links Aggregation interface? Does this logical Links Aggregation interface use LACP as Link Aggregation Control protocol?

If so, technically speaking, you should not experience any ping loss...since each Host connected that way has always a link perfectly running connected to at least one IRF member (while the other IRF member reboots).

So the questions are: how are configured the access ports for those Hosts and how are configured the Hosts...

• 3.  RE: Connection breaks during firmare upgrade [issu]

Posted Nov 22, 2022 12:54 PM
    Hello parnassus,

thank you for your answer.

I wrote: additional info: two test Servers are not connected via LLAG. Now I have to ask our technician why we don't use LLAG\LACP... 

thanks again.

• 4.  RE: Connection breaks during firmare upgrade [issu]

Posted Nov 23, 2022 03:42 AM
    Hello Exonix,

Comware-OS and its big feature ISSU can only show it's full potential if used with an dynamic, active LACP with short handshake.
    This setup ist a must, if being asked.
    Reason is the switch-initiated change of dedicated speaker on the LACP-Bond.
    Here the Switch initiates the change of the primarily active Cable (active speaker) prior to failing over to the other member (which becomes the future master).

Only other Option is a switch-independent setup on Linux with multiple Interfaces bonded to one logical (an a failover timer below 20 msek).
    Then there should be nearly no connectivity interruption while running an issu.

Clearly, we are only talking about compatible ISSU-Updates.

Have your technician look into that.
    Greetings

------------------------------
    prefers to not experiment with live customer equipment...
    ------------------------------