Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

coordinating airwave upgrade with AOS 8.3 --> 8.6 upgrade

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  coordinating airwave upgrade with AOS 8.3 --> 8.6 upgrade

Posted Jul 27, 2022 02:07 PM
    We are upgrading MobilityMaster & controllers from 8.3 to 8.6 tomorrow, and we are running airwave 8.2.6.1. We are trying to figure out how we time the airwave upgrade in the sequence.

Will airwave continue to function after the upgrade to 8.6? (In other words we can do it at our leisure in the next week?)

Will the latest version of AirWave work while we are on 8.3, or do we have to wait until we are at 8.6? (In other words could we do it now?)

We are planning to do MM first, and then we wait for evening to do controllers because of the brief outage on the reboots. Can we slide the AirWave upgrade in between MM and controllers if we finish MM before we get to our maintenance window?

...and I'm sure that there's a document somewhere on the support site that answers all of these questions, but I sure can't find it! Can anyone give me a link to it?

• 2.  RE: coordinating airwave upgrade with AOS 8.3 --> 8.6 upgrade

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 27, 2022 02:19 PM
    You should be good with upgrading the MM and Controllers first, and airwave at a later time. 

Will airwave continue to function after the upgrade to 8.6? (In other words we can do it at our leisure in the next week?) Yes

Will the latest version of AirWave work while we are on 8.3, or do we have to wait until we are at 8.6? (In other words could we do it now?) Yes

Always check release notes before upgrading :)             asp.arubanetworks.com

------------------------------
    Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: coordinating airwave upgrade with AOS 8.3 --> 8.6 upgrade

Posted Jul 28, 2022 04:23 PM
    According to my Aruba partner, "Airwave 8.2.10.1 only supports ArubaOS 8.6.0.0.  It doesn't  appear to support 8.6.0.1-8.6.0.18"

That sounds wrong, though...

So if 8.2.10.1 does work well enough with 8.6.0.18, that means a good airwave upgrade sounds like it would be:

1. Make a clone of the CentOS6 VM running AirWave 8.2.6.1 -- Clone1
    2. On Clone1, upgrade AirWave to 8.2.10.1
    3. Deploy Clone1 and make sure that it works.
    4. Make Clone2 of Clone1
    5. Upgrade the OS from 6 to 7 on Clone2
    6. Deploy Clone2 and make sure that it works.
    7. Make Clone3 of Clone2
    8. On Clone3, upgrade AirWave from 8.2.10.1 to 8.2.10.1
    9. Deploy Clone3 and make sure that it works.
    10. After a reasonable time has passed, clean up old clones.

(I sure do love doing this on virtual machines!)

• 4.  RE: coordinating airwave upgrade with AOS 8.3 --> 8.6 upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2022 05:31 PM
    8.2.10.1 should work well with 8.6.018. Its mostly the tested versions of AOs that are released at the time of Airwave release. 
    AOS 8.6.0.18 is minor release to 8.6.0.0. So there are no major features added apart from bug fixes. So it is good with Airwave 8.2.10.1

w.r.t to the Airwave upgrade process, you cannot upgrade OS. It has to be fresh install. Also, the upgrade honors N-2 versions.
    So, on the VM, upgrade 8.2.6 to 8.2.8 and then to 8.2.10.1
    Take a backup of 8.2.10.1 (CEntOS6)
    Install 8.2.10.1 CentOS7 iso on the same VM instance or new VM instance (with the specs as required form the sizing guide for latest release).
    Restore the backup of 8,.2.10.1 taken from CEntOS6.
    then upgrade as 2 step upgrade process to 8.2.12 and then to 8.2.14

Regards
    Gowri Amujuri