View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Copying profiles, roles and VAP's

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Copying profiles, roles and VAP's

Posted Jul 20, 2023 08:54 AM

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice please on the best procedure in which to go about copying profiles, user roles and VAP's from an existing operational system to new.

I am dealing with a customer that is running 2x version 8 virtual mobility conductors and 4x hardware controllers that are split into 2x hierarchical folders (2x controllers in each). The customer at present has configuration differences between all 4x controllers and their associated folders.

The customer is planning on migrating all 4x controllers over to 2x new virtual mobility conductors and hoping to "merge" or "unify" all the configuration mismatches between the devices into a single folder on the new system.

My question would be if this would be a manual task of copying and pasting over each profile, roles, ACL's and VAP's from each of the controllers or could there be a better way to tackle this?

TIA

• 2.  RE: Copying profiles, roles and VAP's
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 20, 2023 09:17 AM

If both the "new" and "old" systems can be in place at the same time, this is a great opportunity to create things from scratch and to leave any old and extraneous configuration behind.  You could then migrate access points over to the new system.  Over time, older configuration is done and never reviewed and it stays in place .  Merging the configurations together without review could create serious issues.

I would create the Virtual from scratch with the defaults using the SSID creation wizard on the new system at a single common container level created under /md so that you do not have to pursue deltas and changes all through a new hierarchy. 

Again, this is my opinion based on helping companies do migrations.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Copying profiles, roles and VAP's

Posted Jul 21, 2023 05:22 AM

Thank you Joseph - very much appreciate you getting back to me.

I agree that it makes sense to do it that way and build things from scratch. Also keep things neat and tidy.

Just for my own knowledge and learning - is it even possible to copy off group information and VAP's from one system to another other than via copy and paste from a running-config?

I know that you can clone groups on a system but curious to know if there is a way to do that from system to system.

• 4.  RE: Copying profiles, roles and VAP's

Posted Jul 21, 2023 02:59 AM

I agree with Joseph to create a new configuration from scratch. Much safer and faster approach than trying to merge a lot of history into new bundle. Check the relevant current configurations for actively used parts from all systems, evaluate real requirements and create new fresh config. 

Best, Gorazd 

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Expert 2023

• 5.  RE: Copying profiles, roles and VAP's

Posted Jul 21, 2023 05:24 AM

Thank you Gorazd for your reply.

Yeah I agree with you both. We have scheduled some time next week with the customer to comb through his existing configuration and only keep parts that are still relevant to him.

• 6.  RE: Copying profiles, roles and VAP's

Posted Jul 21, 2023 05:39 AM

If you are very careful and check changes it is possible. But if something goes wrong, you will chase your tail for a long time. In simple cases I sometimes use copy&paste, but usually is much faster just to click it new. 

If you have no overlaps, then it is viable to just copy&paste. It all depend on situation. There are no hard rules for this. Just preferences.

Best, Gorazd 

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Expert 2023