Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

Posted Dec 20, 2022 09:55 PM
    Hello guys 
    i was wondering something
    Normally i just got one monitoring system in the network
    So basically just configure  something like:

snmp-server community "test" operator unrestricted
    snmp-server host 192.168.1.50 community "test"

And thats it, i add it on the airwave server and works fine 

But what happens if you got for example  a IMC and an airwave server and i need to monitor from both?

Do i create differetn community for each? something like this

snmp-server community "Airwave" operator unrestricted
    snmp-server community "IMC" operator unrestricted
    snmp-server host 192.168.1.50 community "IMC"
    snmp-server host 192.168.2.50 community "Airwave"

Or this doesnt work like this? guess i can add up to 10 snmp server host
    Im not sure if this is the correct way i should be doing this but i would like to know.  Also if there is something else i should add? let me know
    I havent configure airwave in a while but i do remenber how to add them there and all that, and i saw good features, now you can even see the ports on the airwave something like this:

This just look awsome, does this look like this for the modular switch also?

• 2.  RE: Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2022 04:37 AM
    In the Airwave Datasheet you can see some screenshots on topology and the front view of switches with an example of a stack. I don't have access now to create a screenshot from a modular switch in Airwave.

On the SNMP, you don't need the snmp-server host commands, these are just for sending traps. SNMP works with just the community, and having said that, with the configuration you suggest, anyone who has access to the switch' management IP can send SNMP queries with operator rights if they know/guess the community string of IMC or Airwave. The snmp-server host is not like an access-list. SNMP community strings are also send on the network in the clear, so anyone who can capture the SNMP traffic, can retrieve the community from there, and with that impersonate the SNMP traffic. The community in SNMP is used like username only without a password.

The solution for that would be to configure SNMPv3 on ArubaOS-Switch, which would look like:
    snmpv3 enable
    snmpv3 only
    snmpv3 restricted-access
    snmpv3 group managerpriv user "airwave" sec-model ver3
    snmpv3 group managerpriv user "clearpass" sec-model ver3
    snmpv3 user "airwave" auth sha "removed-auth-password" priv aes "removed-encryption-password"
    snmpv3 user "clearpass" auth sha "removed-auth-password" priv aes "removed-encryption-password"​

Benefit of snmpv3 is that both the authentication and encryption have improved over SNMPv2 which has the weaknesses as mentioned above.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

Posted Dec 21, 2022 08:44 AM
    Understood Herman
    I will make the suggestion, but he will need to change it to all the switches and also in the other managment tool 

Now if he wants to keep it with SNMPv2 for some reason
    What would happen if he already have configured 
    snmp-server community "test" operator unrestricted
    snmp-server host 192.168.1.50 community "test"

And my airwave sever is 192.168.1.100,   the 192.168.1.50 is another monitoring program they have.
    and i use the test comunity, wouldnt i be missing information that the airwave needs to show, becasue the snmp server host is limiting it to that server? don t i need to add too the snmp-server host of the airwave?
    Im  confused so ill go directly to the question, arent the traps the information the switch is sending to the airwave? like for example the status of the ports, if the port is using poe or not? isnt all thot traps that are being send to the airwave? like traps by default being send?
    I think my last question is my confusion

• 4.  RE: Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2022 01:31 PM
    SNMP server host is to send SNMP traps.
    With SNMP, the poll is always from NMS system. So there is no SNMP monitoring data loss if SNMP server host is not set for all NMS systems.
    AirWave poll using community string for port status too. Traps are generally for immediate notification where as Poll happens every 5/10 mins(depending on config). So, If the trap is not set, the port or system info will be 5 mins late.

Regards
    Gowri Amujuri

• 5.  RE: Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

Posted Dec 22, 2022 03:51 PM
    i was able to do a lab with a switch 2930f and its really nice all the info you can get by even just monitor only

• 6.  RE: Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

Posted Dec 30, 2022 01:13 AM
    Hello 
    I added all the Aruba OS switches (5400,2930F,2930M,3810s) with no problem i can see the nice interface like this

But for the 8400 i see it like this

I know its not the switch but its an example but its something like that.. 
    I am missing something or its like this?
    The config of the 8400 i got its this
    snmp-server community XXXXXXXXXX
    snmp-server host Y.Y.Y.Y trap version v2c community XXXXXXXXXX

• 7.  RE: Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2023 10:33 AM
    The issue is not with config on the CX switch.
    Airwave doesn't support/validated for AOS-CX monitoring. It supports AOS-S switches. So, os the reason to default to S1500 switch as Airwave cannot recognize 8400 switch and details sent by SNMP.

Regards
    Gowri Amujuri

• 8.  RE: Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

Posted Jan 03, 2023 10:43 AM
    interesting...
    Do you know if aruba have it on the roadmap to support it just like with the aruba OS to see it with the nice interface?
    any time soon?

• 9.  RE: Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2023 10:54 AM
    Not that I am aware of. CX support and functionality is developed for Central and Central on Prem. The Central variants support AOS-CX switches.

Regards
    Gowri Amujuri

• 10.  RE: Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2023 10:56 AM

Hi,

here you can see the latest Supported Device Info - Taken from documentation:
    AOS-CX uses API based Configuration and this is not supported by Airwave.

What you should do is Update your Airwave to the lastest version, since your 8400 is recognized as a S1500-12P Switch (from your pictures above).

8.2.15.1 is the most recent version.

But you will not get a nice front plate view.

Central or Central on Premise will support the AOS-CX based Switches much more as well as the AOS-S based Switches.

• 11.  RE: Correct configuration to add switches on airwave

Posted Jan 03, 2023 11:31 AM
    Hello cordless
    I got installed the last airwave available which is the one you mention
    Now there is a confution in my post, must be because of my english

The picture i showed is a s1500 which is one i got 

But when i added the 8400 i saw something similar to the S1500, and like you just said im not getting the nice front plate view, and what i get is something similar to what i get with the s1500

Does Aruba have plans in putting the nice front plate view with the CX in the airwave? Cordless?