Security

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

CPPM identity endpoint hostname

This thread has been viewed 48 times
  • 1.  CPPM identity endpoint hostname

Posted 13 days ago

Hi

I want to use the endpoint's "Hostname" colum on enforcement profile, what value should type?

another question

If client use static ip then fingerprint can detected the Hostname?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: CPPM identity endpoint hostname

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

You'd be better off returning the username used in the actual authentication.  Getting the hostname from a device using a static IP address would require an active scanning method by ClearPass that can query for hostname.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: CPPM identity endpoint hostname

Posted 13 days ago

Hi

You should use this string to get the host name:

%{Authorization:[Endpoints Repository]:Hostname}

If the client has a static IP address I think ClearPass will only get the hostname if the device performs a machine authentication with 802.1x. So it must be a Windows computer performing computer authentication.

If it's another type of client the authentication will be as a user authentication, and in this case the hostname will not be set.

Another option is to have other profiling methods, and get additional information about the client.

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP Guru 2024, ACEX, ACDX #1600, ACCX #1335, ACX-Network Security, Aruba SME, ACMP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 4.  RE: CPPM identity endpoint hostname

Posted 6 days ago

Hi 

If that attribute is space, how condition can identify the space value?

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: CPPM identity endpoint hostname

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 5 days ago

You probably should do something like:

Authorization:[Endpoints Repository] Hostname EXISTS => return profiles with use of hostname

And/or NOT_EXISTS => return profile without hostname

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: CPPM identity endpoint hostname

Posted 5 days ago

Hi 

I tried, it doesn't work.

can't hit "Authorization:[Endpoints Repository] Hostname NOT_EXISTS"  policies.

it will identify "Authorization:[Endpoints Repository] Hostname" attributes exist, even the value is empty.

Thanks.

• 7.  RE: CPPM identity endpoint hostname

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 5 days ago

Can you try 'Authorization:[Endpoints Repository] Hostname MATCHES_REGEX ..'?

A regex of .. should match anything two characters (or more). I can't test this easily, otherwise would would have checked. If .. doesn't work, you can try ..* (which  means at least 2 characters, in case the regex needs to be a full line match).

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.