Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

CX 8320 and 6300 series - Issue with LAG

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  CX 8320 and 6300 series - Issue with LAG

Posted Nov 15, 2022 04:11 PM
    Hello,

We have four 8320 series switches 2 in each side configured in VSX mode. Those switches are connected through two fiber links (P2), the main route and the back up one. From my main office to the branch office there are 12 miles.

The LAG has been configured and is working fine, but the issue here is when one link goes down on LAG interface in Aruba CX8320 swtiches, the communication stops working, I am not sure why, but in the middle there are the network devices that belong to the ISP. So when one of the link has been restored the commutication starts working again.

Below you will find the configuration for this scenario,

Main Office 6300 SW

interface lag 2
    no shutdown
    no routing
    vlan trunk native 67
    vlan trunk allowed all
    lacp mode passive
    !
    interface 1/1/40
    no shutdown
    description LINK_TO_BRANCH
    lag 2
    !
    interface 2/1/40
    no shutdown
    description LINK_TO_BRANCH
    lag 2
    !

8320 SW
    !
    !
    PRI_8320SW
    interface lag 2 multi-chassis
    no shutdown
    description MC_To_MainOffice
    no routing
    vlan trunk native 67
    vlan trunk allowed all
    lacp mode active
    !
    !
    interface 1/1/4
    no shutdown
    lag 2
    !

SEC_8320SW
    !
    !
    interface lag 2 multi-chassis
    no shutdown
    no routing
    vlan trunk native 67
    vlan trunk allowed all
    lacp mode active
    !
    !
    interface 1/1/4
    no shutdown
    lag 2

My doubt here is, if we can avoid this interruption, maybe UDLD can help.

Any thought?

Regards

• 2.  RE: CX 8320 and 6300 series - Issue with LAG

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 15, 2022 05:26 PM
    Technically speaking a LAG (either Non Protocol or LACP) should use physically point to point connected's member links without any intermediate device between involved switches (otherwise it's not really a PtP).

• 3.  RE: CX 8320 and 6300 series - Issue with LAG

Posted Nov 16, 2022 05:40 AM
    Hi, You cant use UDLD, because it will be communicating with your service provider. If you have some sort of L2 service you need to verify the LACP PDUs is forwarded  to your EVC and not processed in your service providers equipment.

You call it ISP - Internet Service Provider. Running LACP over Internet is probably not a good option ;-)

------------------------------
    Arne Opdal

• 4.  RE: CX 8320 and 6300 series - Issue with LAG

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 08:57 AM
    Exactly. You can NOT have intermediate L2 active node between LACP peers, or these intermediate nodes would need to be configured to forward LACP BPDU packets.

• 5.  RE: CX 8320 and 6300 series - Issue with LAG

Posted Nov 16, 2022 09:38 AM
    Hello,

Many thanks to all of you,
    So what do you suggest me in order to avoid this behavior? because we have to transmit more than 12 Gbps through this links, by the way, each link supports 10 Gbps.

• 6.  RE: CX 8320 and 6300 series - Issue with LAG

Posted Nov 16, 2022 10:02 AM
    Hi James
    Check what type of service you have. It's probably some kind of L2 service to get more than one VLAN over the link.
    Check with your serviceprovider if its possible for them to provide a service with L2 control protocols forwarded to the EVC.

If your service provider cant forward the LACP PDUs to the EVC ask if you can do LACP with your serviceprovider to get one 20 Gig service on two interfaces.

Arne Opdal

• 7.  RE: CX 8320 and 6300 series - Issue with LAG

Posted Nov 16, 2022 11:25 AM
    Hi ArneO,

Thanks for you explanation,

I just spoken with the ISP and they told to me that they have two equipment in the middle configured with Ring - 832 protocol.
    Regarding the L2 control protocols forwarded to the EVC, they can configuredm but what exactly do I need from my side in order to configure that?

• 8.  RE: CX 8320 and 6300 series - Issue with LAG

Posted Nov 16, 2022 01:06 PM
    If your service provider forward LACP PDU to the EVC in both ends and for both interfaces you just use LACP as you do. I think I would use active mode in both ends.

Arne Opdal

• 9.  RE: CX 8320 and 6300 series - Issue with LAG

Posted Nov 16, 2022 01:26 PM
    Many thanks for your time and recommendation,

We will carry out this in a couple of hour, I will let you know the results.