Wired

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

CX switch stack at the edge (design validation)

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  CX switch stack at the edge (design validation)

Posted Sep 19, 2022 03:09 PM
    Hello Gurus, 

I want your advice on a network design that I'm currently preparing, 
    The customer has an HQ and 2 branch offices in the same zone connected via single-mode fibers.
    the plan is we are renewing switches, and we will have 
    HQ - 4x cx6300 stack switches 
    branch 1 - 2x cx6300 stack switches 
    branch 2 - 2x cx3600 stack switches 

the customer wants to run easy connectivity between sites which is a simple L2, 5x VLANs extended from HQ to branches. 
    to move with the customer proposal - I will setup STP to manage the loop and have HQ as a root bridge, 

from I'm personally thinking of instead, I'll do OSPF between all my stack switches and get rid of broadcast traffic headache, and complexity of managing loop/STP if any. 

I want to know please what do you recommend here, a simple network L2 extended and setup STP, or do OSPF,  I'll need a detailed answer for each option what is the best choice =) 

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: CX switch stack at the edge (design validation)

Posted Sep 19, 2022 08:35 PM

wanted to highlight one of the Switching Gurus here Mr.@parnassus for post visibility, 
    but please I am interested in everyone's input/contribution. 

• 3.  RE: CX switch stack at the edge (design validation)

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 20, 2022 04:48 AM
    Hi! looking at your network topology I don't believe that dealing with a properly configured STP (RSTP, as example) will cause you any issue, the additional (for redundancy) link between branch sites will be blocked (and you can work with the priority to keep it disabled from the STP standpoint preferring the direct links between each branch site and the HQ site). I mean I don't see any particular overhead or complexity once you have defined the STP topology (HQ stack will be STP Root) and properly configured downlinks to stacks placed at branch sites. I personally would be more worried about the single links between HQ and branch sites (If I understood the map correctly) since a single link doesn't fit well when you're dealing with stacks (VSF deployed on ArubaOS-CX in this particular case), I mean the redundancy is absent and there is a strong dependency (full I would say) about the involved peers, necessarily one switch per stack on both ends.

• 4.  RE: CX switch stack at the edge (design validation)

Posted Sep 20, 2022 07:42 AM
    Got it @parnassus! so doing a correct STP setup should work properly as well, 
    but if we put OSPF and L2 extended side by side, which one is recommended?

​and yes, they only have 1 single mode fiber between all sites and they want run an additional link soon. 

• 5.  RE: CX switch stack at the edge (design validation)

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 22, 2022 02:42 AM
    I haven't an answer, it really depends about what approach fits better with your networking requirements, topology characteristics, administration know-how and expected troubleshooting/maintenance efforts.

Please consult this page for some Validated Reference Designs officially provided by Aruba (DC versus Campus scenarios, design and deployment guides for each scenario).