Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

CX VSF Uplink best practices

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  CX VSF Uplink best practices

Posted Mar 03, 2024 12:17 PM

My question is regarding the optimal assignment of member VSF uplinks and secondary assignment in a 6 member CX 6300 switch stack

Here is my scenario:

6 x 48 port 6300M VSF stack configured in a ring. All switches are R8S90A

50 GbE DAC cables for stacking (interfaces 49 & 50)

Member 1 - Conductor

Member 2 - Standby

VSF split detect enabled by connecting mgmt interfaces between conductor and standby

Low traffic throughput primarily from VoIP Phone & PC.

Primarily North - South traffic to/from Core switch

2 x 10 Gb LAG uplink to core switch (1/1/51 and 4/1/51)

I have selected member 1 and member 4 for the two LAG uplink candidates for even distribution of uplinks to minimize the traffic between the VSF Links.

Question 1  Does it matter whether the VSF secondary is assigned to the member 2 or the member 4 with the uplink?

Question 2  Am I correct to assign member 1 and member 4 to the 2 x 10 Gb LAG uplink based on distributing uplinks with a 6 member stack?

• 2.  RE: CX VSF Uplink best practices
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2024 04:57 PM

Generally I would have the uplinks connected to Conductor and standby.

and their placement in the stack would be based on minimising the hopes from other member switches to reach a switch with uplink. 

here is the VSF best Practice guide for 10.04.x

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: CX VSF Uplink best practices

Posted Mar 03, 2024 05:14 PM

Based on your response, I will plan on moving the standby to Member 4.  The LAG uplink is connected to a collapsed 2 tier core with 2 switches in an MLAG configuration. Member 1 > Core #1 and Member 4 > to Core #2 for redundancy.

If I add 2 additional 10 GbE SFP+ links to MLAG core.  Should I distribute the links to 2 different VSF switches like member 2 > Core#1 and member 6 > Core#2 or add the links to the two existing members 1 and member 4?

• 4.  RE: CX VSF Uplink best practices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 04, 2024 04:56 PM

I would distribute the uplinks

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.