View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Device profile Switches and Aruba IAP

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Device profile Switches and Aruba IAP

Posted Sep 14, 2023 04:23 AM

Hi. 

How do I get around device profile when reaching clusters of 120+ accespoints, and want to differentiate IAP management Vlan?

I'm getting more and more networks with more than 150+ accespints and have used device profile on switches for quick safe and sound configuration of ports to accespoints.

- Now, installations get saggy, and unsynchronized access points as there are too many units for VC to handle.

- This will unfortunately at this point bring all IAP's in the same Vlan as soon as switch recognize it on a port.

Do I have to trash the device profile and manually configure every port to get around this = 150 + ports and customers won't pay for this of course :-(

Thanx in advance.

• 2.  RE: Device profile Switches and Aruba IAP

Posted Sep 15, 2023 05:03 AM

Hi,
    the device profile is LOCAL to each switch - and there you do define what's the untagged and what are the tagged vlans for AP-uplink ports.
    Of course, there can be only one profile on a single switch.
    Thus you need to group your switches reflecting the RF-overlap of AP's - and group1 will make use of AP-mgmt-vlan1 as untagged and group2 will make use of AP-mgmt-vlan2 as untagged in the local device-profile.
    For each new switch, you need to decide to which group of switches that one will belong....

Note: the tagged (client) vlans can be the same in all device-profiles, so when clients do roam between those two areas, the client would not need to change its IP@.

Hope this helps
    /Jochem

• 3.  RE: Device profile Switches and Aruba IAP

Posted Sep 15, 2023 05:21 AM

Thank you for answer, Jochem.

Yes - this is a IAP management problem, reaching 100-110 AP+ in a single VC.

Also if I want to separate i.e. 40 345 AP's for conference, in a zone - and some different SSID's available there, than the rest of offices and rooms in a hotel, together with a general guest SSID and vlan for the whole installation. 

Rumors are that there will be a MAC  address thing coming along, so we can profile devices in a ClearPass "light" thingy dingy :-)

Only solution  for now is to hand code every port on every switch. :-(

• 4.  RE: Device profile Switches and Aruba IAP

Posted Sep 15, 2023 05:25 AM
    • And of course I'm running device profile on the whole group, or template to save the hassle of hand stitching every switch Jochem :-)

All the best :-)

• 5.  RE: Device profile Switches and Aruba IAP

Posted Sep 15, 2023 05:43 AM

OK - you did not mention "templates" in your original post....
    ...but still with templates it is possible, utilizing variables.

Of course you need to make sure the values per switch are properly set - but if you define a "APmgmtVLANid" variable and assign e.g. vlan 10 for one group of switches and vlan 20 for the other group of switches (I am not talking about central groups here, but referring to my first post) - it's still possible.
    Assignment of proper values to that (new) variable can be done via CSV export/import or utilizing the json format; of course I would start adding those values first before modifying the template.
    And in the end - there will be two VC's showing up in Central sharing the same group settings....

If you think that will be too complicated - you need to switch to AOS10 for the AP's -> Central will take over the functionality of the VC 
    (of course there might exist good reasons for staying on AOS8)

/Jochem