Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Devices with single MAC address being blocked by port-security

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Devices with single MAC address being blocked by port-security

Posted Mar 07, 2024 09:14 PM

Hi all,

I have come accross an issue in a greenfield deployment where some ports are being blocked by port-security even when they only have a single MAC address connected.

When I do a 'show interface physical' I see the following. I have hundreds of switches with the same issue. It's mostly the same device type, but not always.

show int physical | i blocked

1/5/3       5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       100M-FDx auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                        
    1/5/5       5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       100M-FDx auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                        
    1/5/7       5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       100M-FDx auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                        
    1/5/9       5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       100M-FDx auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                        
    1/5/12      5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       100M-FDx auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                    
    1/5/14      5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       100M-FDx auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                        
    1/6/34      5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       1G       auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                        
    1/6/38      5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       1G       auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                       
    1/7/22      5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       1G       auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                        
    1/7/26      5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       1G       auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                        
    1/7/30      5G-SmartRate   blocked  up       1G       auto      --       off      0.00      100M/1G/2.5G/5G                       

Here is an example of one of the interface configs:

description xxxx
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access xxxx
        spanning-tree bpdu-guard
        spanning-tree tcn-guard
        spanning-tree port-type admin-edge
        port-access security violation action shutdown
        port-access security violation action shutdown auto-recovery enable
        port-access security violation action shutdown recovery-timer 60
        port-access port-security
            enable
        no lldp transmit
        no lldp receive
        loop-protect
        exit

When I had the issue on a single device type at a previous customer site, TAC recommended using the command 'port-access allow-flood-traffic' in the interface context. So I tried this on all of the above ports on this site, and they now function correctly.

I'm not running dot1x.

Do I really need to go and add this command to all of the edge ports in my 1000+ switch network just in case they have this issue? Or have I likely hit a bug?

------------------------------
    Brett V

• 2.  RE: Devices with single MAC address being blocked by port-security

Posted 25 days ago

"Port-Access allow-flood-traffic" CLI is recommended for clients which are non-chatty. When port-security is enabled on the port, both ingress/egress direction will be blocked until client onboard. Client you have mentioned here could be non-chatty/silent, so enabling this feature will open the egress direction of the port and it may wake up after receiving any arp broadcast packet. if you are fine with enabling the egress direction of the port , you can enable this CLI in all the edge ports.

Shobana
    Aruba