Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP Relay - Source IP in Offer and Ack

This thread has been viewed 31 times
  • 1.  DHCP Relay - Source IP in Offer and Ack

Posted 26 days ago

We recently replaced a Cisco 4500-X layer 3 switch with a 6300M.   The 6300M is running FL.10.10.1030

After the migration, several legacy devices stopped getting DHCP addresses.   The legacy Cisco switch was still connected, so I gave one of the SVIs a new IP and re-enabled it, and the devices immediately started getting DHCP addresses.    

A key note is that the DHCP relay worked for many clients on the 6300M, but not all.   With the relay on the Cisco core, all clients work successfully.

I ran a capture to compare the working and not-working flows, and i found one glaring difference.

Cisco (working) :  During the DORA process, the Offer and Ack packets have a source IP of the SVI IP from the Cisco switch

Aruba (not working):  During the DORA process, the Offer and Ack packets have a source IP of the DHCP server

I tried finding RFC or IETF documentation to show what *should* be used, but this site is the only thing I have found (figure 2):

https://www.netmanias.com/en/post/techdocs/6000/dhcp-network-protocol/understanding-dhcp-relay-agents

This shows that the Offer and Ack should use the SVI IP address of the relay, which matches the Cisco flow.

Questions:

1. Is there a command on CX to tell the relay agent to use the SVI IP instead of the DHCP server IP
    2. Is there a standards document that shows what *should* be used?   Most of these are older IoT devices, but at the end of the day they worked before and now they dont.

• 2.  RE: DHCP Relay - Source IP in Offer and Ack

Posted 25 days ago

Will this help you out?

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/Aruba/OS-CX_10.04/5200-6720/index.html#GUID-AC6C8F68-D366-44EA-9D7E-573CE321516C.html

------------------------------
    Gerber van Beek

• 3.  RE: DHCP Relay - Source IP in Offer and Ack

Posted 25 days ago

Hi GerberB,

Thanks for the response!

I have played around with the option 82 commands, but they appear to be for adapting the request going to the DHCP server and not the reply to the client.   

I have tried the following with no success:

dhcp-relay option 82 replace ip

dhcp-relay option 82 source-interface

The Offer and Ack back to the client still show the DHCP server IP.

• 4.  RE: DHCP Relay - Source IP in Offer and Ack

Posted 24 days ago

Did you do the capture on the client side of your DHCP relay? On the client itself or on the Aruba CX device?

Arne Opdal

• 5.  RE: DHCP Relay - Source IP in Offer and Ack

Posted 24 days ago

Client itself

If anyone is able to find a RFC/IETF that ways what the Source IP *should* be using, that would be very helpful.    My googling hasn't found anything yet.

• 6.  RE: DHCP Relay - Source IP in Offer and Ack

Posted 24 days ago

To verify I would do a packet capture on the Aruba CX device and the client. This will verify the DHCP exchange takes the path you expect.

To work the OFFER must come from a device in the same subnet as the client, and also the the ACK. The client can't use the given information from DHCP server until the ACK. So the "partner" must be the DHCP relay agent. But sometimes during migration packets does follow unexpected paths, so verify on the switch itself also.

You have tshark build into the diag tools, or you may do a mirror session to a dedicated device.

Arne Opdal

• 7.  RE: DHCP Relay - Source IP in Offer and Ack

Posted 24 days ago

I did a capture from the 6300M side as well and it is showing the same as the client side capture.

I can also confirm that the src mac of the DHCP packets is showing the Aruba 6300M, but the src IP is not the vlan SVI.

I am still waiting for feedback from TAC.

• 8.  RE: DHCP Relay - Source IP in Offer and Ack

Posted 19 days ago

It looks like Aruba has added a command in newer versions of code to fix this issue.   The command is:

dhcp-relay reply overwrite-source-ip

The information I have received says the command should be in version 10.12.1030+.  

We will plan an upgrade to the 10.13 LSR chain, then I will report back to confirm it fixes our issue.