Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

Posted May 31, 2023 11:52 AM

Hello,

We are planning to exchange our old 2xx APs with 5xx (outdoor) and 6xx (indoor).
    By now we have an IAP virtual Cluster (8.6 Firmware Centaurus).

As these plattforms do not have a "overlapping" firmware, the 5xx/6xx APs would not run in the old 2xx IAP Cluster.
    The 5xx/6xx require at least a 8.10 (635) or a 8.11 (615) Firmware Relese.
    So a second VLAN/Subnet is required to build up a new IAP Cluster.

This is not so nice, as there are two independent IAP Clusters, which have to maintained for consistency etc.
    And Roaming between members of different IAP Clusters does even not work seamless.

So my question is, if it is possible to use a Aruba WLAN Controller Cluster for the migration purpose and the final 5xx/6xx WLAN environment?

If that works, we could buy a Aruba WLAN Controller Cluster and migrate the 2xx IAPs to controlled APs.
    In a second step we would add the new 5xx/6xx APs.
    Over time the 2xx will be replaced by the 5xx/6xx, and afterwards a common Firmware.

That way I would have one more (important) argument for the very expensive WLAN Controller (100 APs = Cost = 2 Controller).

If it does only work with 8.6 and 8.10 we would buy the 635 and 575.
    if it would also work with 8,6 and 8.11 we would buy 615 and 575.
    If it does not work, then too worse...

Thanks and kind regards

Robert

• 2.  RE: Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2023 06:51 PM

it seems the AOS8.10.x.x is the last controller based SO that supports 220, 270 series APs. (check the release notes for AOS8.10)

so technically the controller approach it would work for you. 

are all your 100x APs in one campus?

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

Posted Jun 01, 2023 01:16 AM

Hi ariyap,

I have read the release notes for Aruba Instant OS for 8.10 and there was no hint for our 214/215/275.
    I will search for a document that is more related to the controller, if there is a different for the IAP OS 8.10.

I would say 80 APs on campus and 20 APs on remote sites which are connected via fiber ethernet (One Layer 2 network).
    My plan is to migrate those remote sites to Layer3 connections to reduce the Layer2 Domains. But the IAP Cluster relies on one single Layer 2 network.
    Thats one of the reason why I would switch to a controller solution.

Kind Regards
    Robert

• 4.  RE: Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2023 04:44 AM

Hi, check this page -  https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/matrix/matrix_WLAN-platforms-software-support-matrix.pdf

This covers all supported OS Versions by AP Type. That makes it more easy to decide which AP to use.

• 5.  RE: Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

Posted Jun 01, 2023 05:15 AM

okay thanks.
    But too bad, the 210 Series is not listed.

270 Series is listed with 8.10, but there is no download for 8.10 270 IAP... Maybe the controllerbased APs get  a limited firmware for connecting to the Controller without downloable Firmwares in the support portal?

If this Matrix belongs to the Aruba WLAN Controller solution, then I can not use the controller for migrating the 214/215, and the 27x only with a questionmark...

• 6.  RE: Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2023 05:26 AM

Firmwar of controllerbased APs is much smaller than for Instant APs.

• 7.  RE: Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

Posted Jun 01, 2023 06:25 AM

Its really hard to find out, which information is correct and which not....
    Release Notes for ArubaOS_MM_8.10.0.6_86193.iso
    ArubaOS 8.10.0.6 Release Notes (arubanetworks.com)

the 210 Series with the AP-214 and AP-215 is listed as supported.
    BUT the 615 is not. So we could not migrate from 215 to 615, but from 215 to 635.

The 214 and 215 have been buyed as IAP (e.g. APIN0215 / IAP-215-RW). Converting to Controllerbased should be possible or? In IAP-Cluster there is a option: Maintenance --> Convert --> convert to Remote AP managed by a mobility controller

• 8.  RE: Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

MVP
    Posted Jun 01, 2023 07:05 AM

You are confusing us here by mixing ArubaOS types.

Do you have an Aruba Instant cluster running InstantOS with Instant APs or an ArubaOS 8 cluster with Campus APs?

InstantOS was designed for small, simple office deployments. ArubaOS is the enterprise focussed system.

It is always a good idea to work with your Aruba Account team to plan migrations, preferably before end of support life. 

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 9.  RE: Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

Posted Jun 01, 2023 07:34 AM

Hi Bruce,

I guess this should be clear from my first post:
    "By now we have an IAP virtual Cluster (8.6 Firmware Centaurus)."

Because I know that I can not integrate 575/615/635 in the same IAP virtual Cluster, my idea is to migrate from IAP (214/215/275) to Controller-based and then to integrate new 575/615/635 into the Controller.

My conclusion:
    When the IAP could be converted to controlled APs, then this scenario can be done (but only with 635, not 615).

Edit:
    I must correct myself, you're right. The topic subject could be misleading.
    As I do not know how the controller solution works, I mixed the IAP Firmwares in the Controller Context.
    It looks like there is ArubaOS 8.10 for Controller solution, which is compatible with 214/215/275, even there is no IAP 8.10 Firmware for these Access Points. 

• 10.  RE: Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2023 07:38 AM

That´s true

• 11.  RE: Does a Aruba WLAN Controller supports APs with different firmwares (2xx with 8.6 and 6xx with 8.10/8.11)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2023 08:26 AM

210 series is listed on page 4 of the PDF (for controller) and page 5 (Instant).

Many of the 2xx series AP will go up to Instant 8.6 and controller 8.10.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.