Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Event 4625 from clearpass server

This thread has been viewed 42 times
  • 1.  Event 4625 from clearpass server

Posted Aug 05, 2022 09:40 PM
    out of a sudden,  our windows AD server is logging alot of Event 4625 relating to our clearpass server.
    we have log analyzer to log this kind of events, and it keeps sending every 10 mins.

Is this a false alarm or something we need to check on the Aruba clearpass server ?

Log Name: Security
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
    Date: 05/08/2022 2:49:31 PM
    Event ID: 4625
    Task Category: Logon
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Audit Failure
    User: N/A
    Computer: HQDC.xx.xx
    Description:
    An account failed to log on.

Subject:
    Security ID: NULL SID
    Account Name: -
    Account Domain: -
    Logon ID: 0x0

Logon Type: 3

Account For Which Logon Failed:
    Account Name: CLRPASS02$
    Account Domain: xxx

Failure Information:
    Failure Reason: Unknown user name or bad password.
    Sub Status: 0xC0000064

Process Information:
    Caller Process ID: 0x0
    Caller Process Name: -

Network Information:
    Workstation Name: CLRPASS02
    Source Network Address: 172.16.XX.XX
    Source Port: 57654

Detailed Authentication Information:
    Logon Process: NtLmSsp
    Authentication Package: NTLM
    Transited Services: -
    Package Name (NTLM only): -
    Key Length: 0

This event is generated when a logon request fails. It is generated on the computer where access was attempted.

The Subject fields indicate the account on the local system which requested the logon. This is most commonly a service such as the Server service, or a local process such as Winlogon.exe or Services.exe.

The Logon Type field indicates the kind of logon that was requested. The most common types are 2 (interactive) and 3 (network).

The Process Information fields indicate which account and process on the system requested the logon.

The Network Information fields indicate where a remote logon request originated. Workstation name is not always available and may be left blank in some cases.

The authentication information fields provide detailed information about this specific logon request.
    - Transited services indicate which intermediate services have participated in this logon request.
    - Package name indicates which sub-protocol was used among the NTLM protocols.

• 2.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 06, 2022 10:16 PM
    as per the description it looks like logon is failing for CLRPASS02.

Account For Which Logon Failed:
    Account Name: CLRPASS02$

I take that is the name of your clearpass node right?
    what do you see in the Event viewer of  Clearpass?

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

Posted Aug 07, 2022 01:15 AM
    i dont see anything relating to failed login or brute force attack which is what i get on my AD event viewer

• 4.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2022 03:54 AM
    what do you see in the Event viewer of Clearpass?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

Posted Aug 07, 2022 08:45 PM
    there is no error in the clearpass event viewer but it logging on my AD server event viewer every 10 mins. 
    we also see the login failure is connection from www.msftconnecttest.com.

is there any way we can stopped the error from this msftconnecttest.com

• 6.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

Posted Aug 07, 2022 10:59 PM
    we used clearpass to control mac address filtering.
    devices that are on mac address filtering does not have access to Internet.

• 7.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

Posted Aug 08, 2022 03:29 AM
    is there any logon service account in clearpass that will try to login to Windows AD server for authentication ?

• 8.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 08, 2022 10:35 AM
    Could it be that the AD Administrator locked/removed the computer account that was created when ClearPass joined the domain?
    Or that you are running ClearPass as a VM and reverted to an earlier snapshot?

In both cases, if you are using PEAP-MSCHAPv2 in ClearPass, try to move to EAP-TLS and if that is really not possible re-join the ClearPass server to the AD Domain (under Server Manager). If you don't use PEAP-MSCHAPv2, leave the ClearPass appliances from the domain (also under Server Manager).

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 9.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

Posted Aug 08, 2022 11:01 AM
    the clearpass is a VM with publisher and subscriber. no changes to the VM. its confirm that the event in windows event viewer is coming from the clearpass server as after i shutdown the clearpass VM for 1 hr, the logs stopped appearing in the windows event viewer.

• 10.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 09, 2022 05:17 AM
    Are you using PEAP-MSCHAPv2?
    Have you joined the ClearPass to the Active Directory?
    If joined, did you validate that the ClearPass computer account is still active in AD? You can test the domain join from the ClearPass CLI (login as appadmin):
    [appadmin@cppm]# ad testjoin NL
    Join is OK​

... where NL is my AD domain name. I suspect there is an issue with your domain join, based on the logs.

Also, make sure that if this happens in production and you have interruptions because of the issue, please open a TAC Support case.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 11.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

Posted Aug 11, 2022 01:16 AM
    when i do the AD test, i get the following error Can't load /etc/samba/smb_AD_domain.conf - run testparm to debug it, on both my clearpass publisher and subscriber.

• 12.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 11, 2022 10:40 AM
    Can you try the same with the NETBIOS domain-name (you tried the DNS domain-name), as it is shown in the ClearPass server manager under the Joined servers?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 13.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

Posted Aug 12, 2022 01:27 AM
    client not found in kerberos database when i run the testjoin again.
    same error on both clearpass server.
    only clearpass2 is showing the error in the event log.
    if i not wrong, we do not join the clearpass to our domain.

• 14.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2022 10:14 AM
    Then probably your AD admin removed/disabled the computer account for ClearPass. Leave and Join ClearPass to the domain.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 15.  RE: Event 4625 from clearpass server

Posted Aug 16, 2022 12:56 AM
    the error/logging is gone after we shut down the clear pass for a few days