Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Finding device mac address port

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Finding device mac address port

Posted Aug 08, 2022 09:43 AM
    I know I can run the command show mac-addr | in 4c3f as an example to show which port on the switch this mac is on.  Assuming of course the device with mac 4c3f is on the network.

But what if the device is connected to the switch, and it says unidentified network?  Is there a way to see which port without physically tracing the cable from device to switch?

• 2.  RE: Finding device mac address port

Posted Aug 09, 2022 03:14 AM

unidentified network can happen if you have configured a static ip address and the port is configured for a vlan with a different subnet.

Or if youre clients tries to get an ip by dhcp and the configured vlan does not have a dhcp server.

But back to your question, if your not using a network management tool which monitors the mac adresses connected to a switch port, you must use the command, which you already know:

Aruba-OS: show mac-addr | in 4c3f

Aruba-CX: show mac-addr | in 4c:3f

I would recommend to set the client to dhcp, and to reconnect the cable on the client. With dhcp enabled there should be an dhcp request broadcast, and the clients mac adress should be seen for at least 5 Minutes along the way through the network.

So you can begin your research on the client-switch you will expect the client, or you can begin on most central point of your network, where all the client traffic has to be passing (like core, distribution or aggregation switch). 

kind regards

Robert

• 3.  RE: Finding device mac address port

Posted Aug 09, 2022 07:27 AM
    Thank you