Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Format of timestamp in syslog messages

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Format of timestamp in syslog messages

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2023 12:30 PM

Hi,

Am am running a iAP cluster with release 8.7.1.1_78245

I am sending the logs to a rsyslog Linux server

The problem is that the time format is not what I need.

The message should start by for example 2023-10.23T10:34:36, but iAPs send Oct 23 17:25:18 2023

This is not ISO and confuses rsyslog

Can someone advise?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Format of timestamp in syslog messages

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2023 02:16 PM

I would recommend looking into how rsyslog can interpret or modify the incoming information.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/75978447/rsyslog-convert-msg-timestamp-to-rfc3339-format

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: Format of timestamp in syslog messages

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2023 05:33 AM

Hi Carson

I have already come across with those profiles, but from my understanding it only changes the way I save the logs.

My problem is different, the remote system sends logs in a format that rsyslog down not understand and does not save it.

I am sure the server received the logs because I did a tcpdump, but the logs are not saved.

For example a device that the server saves the log messages:

And an example of a device that send the logs, but they are not saved:

Regards

_______________________­­­­­

Carlos Dias
    Technical Consultant

• 4.  RE: Format of timestamp in syslog messages

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2023 09:51 AM

This still looks like something that can be handled on the rsyslog side using a parser.

https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/master/whitepapers/syslog_parsing.html

https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/master/configuration/property_replacer.html

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: Format of timestamp in syslog messages

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2023 11:56 AM

Hi Carson,

Thanks for the update.

As I said I think this configurations are more related to how the system saves the logs.

But my problem is a bit different. I have several systems sending syslog messages to a rsyslog server.

For all of them the system saves the messages at the directory where I configured them.

But there is a system that I can see I receive the messages (using tcpdump), but the messages are not stored.

Is there a place I can see why? I imagines it was because of a different time stamp.

Regards

_______________________­­­­­

Carlos Dias
    Technical Consultant

• 6.  RE: Format of timestamp in syslog messages

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2023 09:36 AM

Normally a syslog server does not do anything with the timestamp in your log, think more of it like a long text line which include the time as seen by the device. Many syslog servers include their own timestamp when received as you should not trust the timestamp in log message because it's hard to tell how well the clock is in sync. The time on the receiving syslog server is the same for all syslog sources, so it's the better choice to reference.

What you can see in the packet capture is that both the syslog facility (LOCAL0 s LOCAL7) and the level (WARNING vs INFO) are different, and those are likely to determine if and where the receiving syslog server is writing your logs. I think it's quite unlikely that the time format in the syslog message has anything to do with that.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: Format of timestamp in syslog messages

Posted Feb 27, 2024 08:49 AM

In case anyone else finds this useful, here's a snippet from my rsyslog.conf which copes with Aruba's date format:

input(
      type="imudp"
      port="514"
      ruleset="remote_store"
    )

ruleset(
      name="remote_store"
      parser=["rsyslog.rfc5424", "custom.rfc3164"]
    ) {
      # your actions here...
    }

# Aruba causes rsyslog.rfc3164 to fail; set some options to be more lenient.
    parser(
      name="custom.rfc3164"
      type="pmrfc3164"
      permit.squareBracketsInHostname="on"
      detect.YearAfterTimestamp="on"
    )