Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Googlecast discovery (Airgroup)

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Googlecast discovery (Airgroup)

Posted May 11, 2023 03:52 AM

Hello,

AOS 8.10.0.5
    2 x conductors (one standby)
    cluster of 10 x 7240XMs
    ClearPass 6.10.8

We have a user who cannot cast to their Google Home Mini from their iPhone or MacBook Air, the issue seems to be discovery. We run Airgroup on our IoT mPSK SSID (designed for devices that can't do dot1x. Devices are registered in ClearPass and are shared only with that user), this is where the Home Mini is connected. The other devices are on eduroam, though they have also tried with one of the sender devices connected to the IoT SSID as well as the Home receiver, but no joy there either. No apps (that they have tried) appear to be able to cast to the Home.

The Home appears in the Airgroup server list 

MAC                IP              Type       Host Name                             Service             VLAN  Wired/Wireless  Role               Group  Username                                  AP-Name            AP-Group                CPPM State  CoA Count  Controller-MAC     Flags  Index
    f8:0f:f9xxxxx  x.x.x.x   mDNS       xxxxxxxxx-2106-11e7-xxxxxxxxxx  default-googlecast  1xx  Wireless        uws-iot_role       -      xxx@x.x.x.x                          28:de:65:xxxxxx  trinhall-city_h-aps     No Policy   0          00:1a:1e:xxxxx  A      26054

The user cannot discover it from any app it seems, though occasionally can see volume controls, in their words:

"My phone is an iPhone, but I don't think you're able to cast directly from the Home app anymore. I can change device volume and play/pause but can't start casting, these controls only appear when I've asked the Mini to play something (by talking to it). So perhaps my phone can find it over the network but only from the Google Home app? Or these controls might be over the internet I'm not sure…"

They also ran the utility at the bottom of this page https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/discovery

But apparently the _googlecast._tcp.local service record wasn't found.
    Previously (actually with a Chromecast, over a year ago) I had found that I could cast directly from the Google Home app but according to the user this is no longer possible.

I'm just wondering if others have hit issues with googlecast before I send them off to google cast support?

Guy

• 2.  RE: Googlecast discovery (Airgroup)

Posted May 12, 2023 02:22 AM

Does the AP the Google home mini is connected to show up in the "show Airgroup APs" table? With ArubaOS 8.10 they switched to Airgroup v2 which has "Auto-Association" by AP-Name enabled by default (and can't be turned off) amongst a few other changes. I had a dusting where I couldn't discover my Chromecast till I rebooted the AP - which populated the Airgroup AP neighbors table.

Chris