Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest bandwidth limits

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  Guest bandwidth limits

Posted Mar 29, 2023 12:35 PM

Hello Airheads,

is it possible to have for an SSID both BW limitations per user and total BW limitation for the SSID?

I know that BW limits are configured under the Roles and can be configured per-user or per-role; what we would like to achieve is, for the guest SSID, to set 2 mbps of bandwidth limits for each user, but with a maximum BW limit of 100 mbps for the SSID.

Many thanks for helping

kind regards

Alessandro

• 2.  RE: Guest bandwidth limits

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2023 09:43 AM

For which product and what version of it?

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Guest bandwidth limits

Posted Apr 04, 2023 10:20 AM

Hello Herman and thank you,
    the infrastructure is composed by :
    2 Mobility conductors
    6 managed devices distributed in 3 Clusters (2 controllers for each cluster) in 3 different sites
    UAP 505
    ArubaOS 8.10 LSR
    2 node Clearpass Cluster
    Airwave

Since the internet connection is only one shared for all the sites, the customer would like to have a limitation of 2 mbps for each guest user, but with a maximum limitation of 100 mbps for the guest SSID over the whole infrastructure.

Many thanks
    Ale

• 4.  RE: Guest bandwidth limits

Posted Apr 13, 2023 05:01 AM

Hi there,

This is not possible and shouldnt be at SSID level. 
    Set 2mbps per user on the controller but leave the total max for the firewall to handle - also I would not restrict the total bandwitdh but guarantee bandwitdh to critical vlans. If no bandwidth is used anywhere else, you can also give it to guests.
    Another option is ACL ratefilter at your switch but I wouldnt do that. On the controller you can also set bandwidth contracts per vlan but this is onlyfor BC/MC traffic:
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_62_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/Network_Parameters/Configuring_VLANs.htm

Adding a Bandwidth Contract to the VLAN

Bandwidth contracts on a VLAN can limit broadcast and multicast traffic.

• 5.  RE: Guest bandwidth limits

Posted Apr 14, 2023 09:38 AM

Hi, what about doing the following:

1.- Limit to 2mbps per user in the controllers. 
    2.- Limit to 100 mbps per Vlan, assuming ecah ssid has a different one, at the internet breakout. 

I know is not exactly what you asked but it could be a way to do it.

I hope this helps