Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Guidance on stacking a new 6200 Switch to an existing 6200 Switch

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Guidance on stacking a new 6200 Switch to an existing 6200 Switch

Posted 14 days ago
    Hi,

I am fairly new to Aruba switching and need to stack a new 6200 switch to an existing 6200 production switch.

I have read 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AOS-CX/10.07/PDF/5200-7889.pdf
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AOS-CX/10.06/PDF/6200/VSF.pdf

From what I can tell, I will need to 

1. Login to existing production switch

configure
     vsf member 1 
     link 1 1/1/50 

2. Login to new switch 

configure 
     vsf member 1 
     link 1 1/1/50 
     vsf renumber to 2 

3. Physically connect existing production switch to new switch using DAC cable (in port 1/1/50 on both switches) and let new switch reboot 

4. On existing production switch 

show vsf 

Could you please let me know if these steps look good or if I am missing anything?

Also is there any need to match the firmware before joining the stack? Has anyone had experience with the below statement?

When a device joins a stack and its firmware version is different from the version on the master, the master
    will push its firmware copy to the device. Once the device receives a copy of the firmware, it will reboot and
    rejoin the stack, now running the same version as the master.

• 2.  RE: Guidance on stacking a new 6200 Switch to an existing 6200 Switch
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 14 days ago

You got the correct procedure, just bear in mind that you can also make your member 2 as standby member for high availability in case VSF conductor failure.

"vsf secondary-member <x>"

you can also enable VSF split detection by using a connection between the OOBM ports on the primary and secondary members to detect when a split has occurred. 

Lastly the firmware gets updated from the VSF conductor if there is a mis-match

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.
    ------------------------------