Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to assemble the cable glands that come with AP-377?

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  How to assemble the cable glands that come with AP-377?

Posted Aug 19, 2022 02:24 PM
    Feeling rather stupid...

I'm looking at the picture (which is also figure 19 in the Outdoor Access Point Planning and Installation Guide) 

and I can't figure out how this relates to the four pieces which came with my AP-377...

The first three pieces on the left that I have strung down the cable are identifiably the pieces in the guide, but I can't figure out the piece on the right, It's a piece of rubber that's split so that it can go over the cable after termination -- but where?

Does it go on the end that screws into the AP?

I've got the 2016 and 2021 versions of the document -- maybe some updated pictures are in order?

Also, I have 4 AP-377EX versions, and they come with yet a different cable glands assembly that's metal. Are there instructions on how to assemble that?

• 2.  RE: How to assemble the cable glands that come with AP-377?

MVP
    Posted Aug 19, 2022 02:36 PM

Small rubber piece nests inside the small crown-looking piece (your second piece from left, or the piece labelled "seals" in fig.19).

So when you tighten down that outer sealing nut, its compressing those crown "fingers" around the rubber piece, causing the rubber to compress around your cable and create a better seal. (there's probably more technical terms for those parts). Hope that helps/makes sense.

• 3.  RE: How to assemble the cable glands that come with AP-377?

Posted Aug 19, 2022 02:46 PM
    Yes, I see how those 3 pieces fit -- my problem is the 4th piece on the right

I think that it does go inside the right-side end of the piece on the right that screws into the AP

• 4.  RE: How to assemble the cable glands that come with AP-377?

MVP
    Posted Aug 19, 2022 02:53 PM
    Ohhh - sorry I misunderstood (and now looking closer at your photo, you already had the smaller rubber piece already seated).

The other one is just an alternative if your cable is thicker. So you choose one or the other to use.

Smaller rubber grommet = suggested for cables 5-8.5mm diameter
    Larger rubber grommet= suggested for cables 7-10mm diameter

• 5.  RE: How to assemble the cable glands that come with AP-377?

Posted Aug 19, 2022 04:26 PM
    Aha! I understand this now, and how they cleverly re-engineered this so that it can go over an already-terminated ethernet cable.

The piece with the 12-fingered "claw" on one side and the "crown" on the other is separate from the rubber grommet inside.

The only piece that the terminator won't fit through the hole is the rubber grommet -- that comes with the two choices. Each has the split so that it can go around the cable after the other pieces are threaded on.

In excruciating detail: