Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How to configure the failover between MC that are over L3 network/ Different Building.

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  How to configure the failover between MC that are over L3 network/ Different Building.

Posted Jul 15, 2024 02:58 AM

Anyone have any configuration guide about this kind of setup.

Both MC are managed by MM located in Building A. 1MC is building A with network 192.168.1.x and another in building B with network 172.16.1.x. I wish to build both MC into one cluster for failover purpose with different network.

May I know does this setup can be done? have any reference?

Should I enable L3 redundancy when intial setup the MC via CLI?

Still need setup VRRP? if yes, then what IP should used? if no, then we need set primary and secondary MC IP in "LMS" setting under AP group right?

what is the function for "Exclude VLANS" when assign individual MC into the cluster profile created. Does it fill in the VLANs which does not exist in both MC right?

• 2.  RE: How to configure the failover between MC that are over L3 network/ Different Building.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 28 days ago

This is a setup where you'd use LMS and Backup LMS configuration in the AP group configuration.  Do not configure a cluster, proper operation of a cluster requires L2 connectivity.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: How to configure the failover between MC that are over L3 network/ Different Building.

Posted 28 days ago

Hi Chulcher,

Thank you for your reply. What you mean is cluster can't used for L3 right?

If not in cluster, when building A MD down, building A AP can direct failover to MD in building B without downtime? as AP will only failover between the MD is same cluster right? Then, I only need add both MD under same group without adding into cluster profile?

Next, enable "L3 redundancy" when intial setup the Mobility Controller with md mode via CLI actually is refer to MM is setup in L3 environment, not refer to mobility controller right? 

• 4.  RE: How to configure the failover between MC that are over L3 network/ Different Building.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 28 days ago

Cluster is meant for L2 deployments, a cluster operating in L3 mode should be considered degraded and needing to be fixed.

If you don't have L2 connectivity between the two controllers then you DO NOT want a seamless failover, you NEED the drop of the client connections so that you force a new IP address to be pulled.  LMS/B-LMS failover is quick but has a downtime as the AP re-bootstraps and connects to the new controller.

L3 redundancy configuration should be referring to the Mobility Conductor configuration for the managed device, allowing for a MCR in a separate data center to be installed for redundancy.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: How to configure the failover between MC that are over L3 network/ Different Building.

Posted 16 days ago

Hi chulcher,

So it mean if we want do for L3 failover, the configuration needed is using LMS in AP group and this method must have some downtime when 1 of the controller down right? Both controller will be managed under different group or same group without cluster profile?

• 6.  RE: How to configure the failover between MC that are over L3 network/ Different Building.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 15 days ago

Both controllers can be under the same group or different.  At a minimum I'd recommend that the controllers be placed in parallel groups that have a common parent group, then place all common config at that top level so that overrides are easily done at a group level.

Example

• Managed Network (md)
      • Corporate - top level group, likely contains all common configuration for the organization
        • DC 1 - group for controller(s) in DC 1
        • DC 2 - group for controller(s) in DC 2

That's the simplest config tree I'd go with, if you have to run multiple geographies then I'd have that broken out in the tree as well.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110