Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

How to correctly move AP's from one large group to smaller groups in Aruba Central.

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  How to correctly move AP's from one large group to smaller groups in Aruba Central.

Posted Aug 11, 2022 10:12 PM
    Hi Folks,
    I have been reading the Aruba Documentation and in theory this seems easy but its lite on some info.

my environment is
    Aruba Central
    170 Ap's (ap-535) in one large Aruba central Group (their configs are all done via the gui so are all the same)
    We have many sites so we use sites to break down the Ap's and as the sites are on different subnets they each have Virtual Controllers for each site/ip subnet.

As a result of a firmware update issue we had we want to create another group which is where IT are located and has 5 AP's (same config as main group) so we can control and test stuff without rolling out to entire network across many sites and create havoc.

I have cloned the main group as the new group will have all the same settings . I can see I can only drag the VC and all the other AP's will come with it. 
    The one thing that the documentation concerns me on is the Device or AP specific settings are not carried across.

What are these setting ie is this the name of the AP as I would consider that device specific....I can not find any documentation thats states what "Device specific" means so I can be aware and document the changes I need to make as part of the move.

I find this concerning....but I have found this seems to be the norm in the Aruba Docs it covers a lot at a certain level then does not quite go far enough so you can check what the AP specific settings are so you are confident you know whats going to happen in the move.

Can someone assist with this or who has done this before What I can expect once I do this.
    we have sites that are wifi only so I need to know what impact if any is going to happen when we shift to a group.

If this works we would like to continue creating groups for our Sites.

This is part of risk mitigation as we had an Aruba Tech Take all of our 170 AP's down trying to resolve and issue and rolled back the FW on ALL 170 AP's as we have one group only  and then many AP's did not come up...this was an 8 hour outage and was rather a large impact to the business. 

• 2.  RE: How to correctly move AP's from one large group to smaller groups in Aruba Central.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2022 09:31 AM
    That is a good question. I think it is expected that device specific changes are not carried over to another group, nor I would know how to force these to move over. If there are no other responses, please reach out to TAC if they know a way to do it.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: How to correctly move AP's from one large group to smaller groups in Aruba Central.

Posted Aug 15, 2022 09:46 AM
    Lab it? That would be my suggestion or reach out to TAC.

• 4.  RE: How to correctly move AP's from one large group to smaller groups in Aruba Central.

Posted Aug 15, 2022 05:14 PM
    We dont have any spare AP's to do this with (lab it)

• 5.  RE: How to correctly move AP's from one large group to smaller groups in Aruba Central.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2022 08:22 PM
    the device specific configuration will not be carried to the new group.
    here is the procedure for moving APs between groups.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/latest/content/nms/groups/move-iap.htm

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 6.  RE: How to correctly move AP's from one large group to smaller groups in Aruba Central.

Posted Aug 21, 2022 10:38 PM
    Did you not read the post.....?

I am aware of how to do it but there is no documentation from Aruba as to what exactly are Per AP Settings actually are ?

To me this would be the AP's Name , does this mean I have to rename all Ap's I move ????

So when I move them It would be nice to know what I would have to update after the move per AP. Without this documentation it makes moving AP's very much  a "move and Pray" process.

• 7.  RE: How to correctly move AP's from one large group to smaller groups in Aruba Central.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2022 12:46 AM
    AP names just one of the per AP setting or device parameters. Check this link.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/latest/content/nms/access-points/cfg/ap-settings/conf_ap_params.htm

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.