Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to disable 802.11a/b/g on controller ??

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  How to disable 802.11a/b/g on controller ??

Posted Mar 30, 2023 09:02 PM
    I want to use "802.11ax" on my 7220 Aruba controller.

So I want to disable "802.11a/b/g/ac".

Can I disable it from any menu?

• 2.  RE: How to disable 802.11a/b/g on controller ??

Posted Mar 31, 2023 04:06 AM

This should get you started if you're not here already, and someone will correct me if this is wrong, but you won't be disabling the 'a' radio like you mention above because it's used for 'ax' - both being 5GHz.

What you could do is disable the 2.4GHz radio, maybe at the AP Group level if you like:

Config > System > Profile > AP > AP Group >  'Your Group' > 2.4GHz Radio ---> deselect Radio enable. Push that out and that's 2.4GHz off for that group.

While you're here you can deselect High throughput and Very high throughput to leave yourself with ONLY High Efficiency (ax) operating in this 5GHz enabled group:

For the rates you'd perhaps deselect the lower rates from the SSID anyway for better performance w.r.t management frames on the air.

Config > System > Profile > AP > Wireless LAN > SSID > 'Your SSID' > scroll down and you'll see that rates - get rid of the low ones.

------------------------------
    Nathan

• 3.  RE: How to disable 802.11a/b/g on controller ??

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2023 10:37 AM

I would expect big issues if you disable HT/VHT, maybe unless you are 100% sure that all of your clients support 11ax. And even then, I don't think clients (or the Aruba APs) are generally tested with only 11ax enabled.

May I ask what you are trying to achieve by disabling all other protocols?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: How to disable 802.11a/b/g on controller ??

Posted Apr 05, 2023 01:10 AM
    I want to make an AX connection with a laptop that supports AX.
    I'm not sure, but probably the laptop isn't connected by AX.
    Because the speed is not even 10Mbit/s when connecting to 2.4.
    I wanted to do a speed test by forcing an AX connection.
    How can I find out which protocol a/b/g/n/ac/ax was used by the client in the Aruba controller?

• 5.  RE: How to disable 802.11a/b/g on controller ??

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 05, 2023 03:17 AM

I would configure that in the client driver settings in that case, and on 2.4GHz you would expect worse performance than on 5GHz; push your clients to 5GHz.
    Does your client support 802.11ax/WiFi-6? What is the connection speed that your client and AP report (reported connection speed, not speed-test results)? You can get that from the controller in the WebUI, or on the CLI: 'show user' or 'show ap association'. Please share the output if you need more information on this.
    And what are the specifications (MIMO/antennas) of your client and your AP? Performance will always be limited to the lowest number of MIMO/antennas of the client and the AP.
    If both the client and AP support 11ax, they should not pick 2.4GHz but 5GHz, but if 2.4GHz is selected, you should be able to get more than 10Mbit/s, but probably not 10Mbyte/s.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: How to disable 802.11a/b/g on controller ??

Posted Apr 05, 2023 09:43 AM

Hi, in case you laptop is windows you can use these commands to be sure which protocols the adapter supports and which are the characteristics of the connection once connected.

Supported:

netsh wlan show driver

Connection:

I hope this helps