Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 5 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How to enable Airgroup for IPv6 on an IAP cluster?

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  How to enable Airgroup for IPv6 on an IAP cluster?

Posted 13 days ago

Hi,

I wanted to ask, if there are any prerequisites that must be fulfilled in order to enable Airgroup for IPv6?

We have an issue where two devices want to use mDNS discovery over IPv6, which does not work. It works over IPv4

Checking the output of show airgroup status I can see that IPv6 support is disabled.

AirGroup Information
    --------------------
    Feature               Status
    -------               ------
    AirGroup mode         Distributed
    MDNS                  Enabled
    DLNA                  Enabled
    Enforce Registration  Disabled
    IPV6                  Disabled

I tried to find a knob that turns it on, but I cannot find it anywhere. I was searching through the documentation, communities, internet, but I am seemingly incapable of finding the specific requirement to enable it.

The Instant cluster is running 8.7.1.7 (will be upgraded soon to 8.10) and CPPM is not used. Hopefully someone can help me here. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Patrick

• 2.  RE: How to enable Airgroup for IPv6 on an IAP cluster?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

haven't played around with it but perhaps you can enabled it from config->system

Also here is the IPv6 section of the user guide. I am not sure if airgroup supports IPv6, but do try it and let us know.

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: How to enable Airgroup for IPv6 on an IAP cluster?

Posted 13 days ago

I saw this option, but did not act on it as I assumed the IPv4-only option is sufficient.

V4-only-The Instant AP would allow IPv6 clients to pass-through just like the previous Instant release

Guess the only option is to try and find out.

I am just hesitant since this is a live environment and not close by in case of issues where a recovery is required.

• 4.  RE: How to enable Airgroup for IPv6 on an IAP cluster?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

To my knowledge, Instant is not IPv6 aware for client traffic. You can 'pass-through' IPv6 traffic, but it doesn't provide control/visibility.

For that reason, I don't think AirGroup is IPv6 aware. As there is functionality shared between Instant/Controller/AOS8, that may be why the command output is carried over, possibly to future proof and not take out code that may eventually be added at some moment in the future, but have not seen that functionality as supported.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: How to enable Airgroup for IPv6 on an IAP cluster?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

i just did a quick test and as Herman mentioned Airgroup does not support IPv6 at this point.

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 6.  RE: How to enable Airgroup for IPv6 on an IAP cluster?

Posted 12 days ago

Unfortunately it seems to act on it in some capacity. If I do a wireless packet capture I see IPv6 mDNS packets. On the wired side, where the AP is connected, none of those packets are showing up. It looks to filter them. Is this supposed to happen?

Edit: I can see LLMNR traffic originating from IPv6 clients connected to the AP, but that protocol is not monitored under Airgroup, only mDNS and DLNA