Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to get list of wireless clients in AOS8 via API?

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  How to get list of wireless clients in AOS8 via API?

Posted Aug 11, 2022 10:20 PM
    I have a client that has an Aruba Mobility Master setup with ArubaOS 8.3.0.  

ALL he needs is a programmatic way to fetch a) the list of Acess Points configured in the system and b) the total list of wireless clients connected to any of these APs.  

I can get the list of access points with something like

`https : //1.1.1.1:4343/v1/configuration/showcommand?command=show+ap+database&config_node=%2Fmd&UIDARUBA=...`

But for the list of clients, I can find NOTHING that works.  The CLI documentation suggests some things, but none of them work through the `showcommand` API.  

Does anyone have any hints?

• 2.  RE: How to get list of wireless clients in AOS8 via API?

Posted Aug 12, 2022 04:45 PM
    I've had some luck with the `show wms client list` command, but that truncates the list at 1100 and there does not appear to be a way to change that.

• 3.  RE: How to get list of wireless clients in AOS8 via API?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2022 10:10 PM
    If this is on the MM, "show global-user-table list"

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 4.  RE: How to get list of wireless clients in AOS8 via API?

Posted Aug 17, 2022 02:11 PM
    "show global-user-table list" returns 796 clients, while the web UI shows 1476.  Obviously the source of this information is vastly different.

• 5.  RE: How to get list of wireless clients in AOS8 via API?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 17, 2022 02:16 PM
    "Obviously"

I would run the "show user-table" command on both controllers where the APs terminate.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 6.  RE: How to get list of wireless clients in AOS8 via API?

Posted Aug 17, 2022 02:49 PM
    Perhaps I don't have permission to do this with my current mobility master user.

(ARUBAMM) [mynode] #show user-table
    This command is not applicable on master switch...

(ARUBAMM) [mynode] #cd CONTROLLER01
    (ARUBAMM) [00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX] #show user-table
    The commands for applications run on MM need to be executed on /mm tree.
    The commands for applications run on individual devices need to be executed on the device node in 'mdconnect' mode.

(ARUBAMM) [00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX] #mdconnect
    Error:You do not have permission to execute this command
    ​

• 7.  RE: How to get list of wireless clients in AOS8 via API?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 17, 2022 02:54 PM
    type "whoami" to see what permissions you have.

• 8.  RE: How to get list of wireless clients in AOS8 via API?

MVP
    Posted Aug 18, 2022 09:38 AM
    That command needs to be run on the individual controllers, not the MMs

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 9.  RE: How to get list of wireless clients in AOS8 via API?

MVP
    Posted Aug 17, 2022 02:23 PM
    Side note as it is related...

I had noticed vast differences in client counts among the conductors, controllers, and airwaves. So much so that I had opened a TAC case and after months of them looking into things they finally filed a bug about it. The fix isn't expected until 8.11.x.

Take all the "client counts" with a grain of salt. With that said - I think the best way to get an "as accurate count as possible" is the technique cjoesph mentioned... check the user-table on all controllers.