Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

HOW TO REPLACE A FAULTY 6300M IN A CLUSTER

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  HOW TO REPLACE A FAULTY 6300M IN A CLUSTER

Posted Jun 20, 2022 01:45 PM
    Hello Sir,
    Please I have a challenge one of my core switches in a cluster failed to boot and we have a replacement but I really dont know how to configure the new switch which is the master in the cluster back into the cluster.

I would be grateful if you could be of assistance please.
    Regards
    Danny

--
    Stay Blessed
    WhatsApp:+233505093050
    +233559449484

• 2.  RE: HOW TO REPLACE A FAULTY 6300M IN A CLUSTER

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 21, 2022 04:09 AM
    Hi Danny,

The VSF Master failed so the new Switch is going to be the replacement of the Switch which was the Master (your VSF Stack, in order to continue to be operative, should have elected a new VSF Master, the Switch that was the Standby became the new Master).

Try to follow the recommendations available on the AOS-CX Virtual Switching Framework (VSF) Guide (for Aruba CX 6200/6300 Switch Series), especially the part where the "Member replacement with/without auto-stacking" is described (Chapter 3).

• 3.  RE: HOW TO REPLACE A FAULTY 6300M IN A CLUSTER

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2022 04:16 AM
    Hi , 

refer to this documentation link which describes replacing the conductor member:-
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/centralonprem/254/content/nms-on-prem/aos-cx/sw-stk-cx/sw-stk-cx-rplc-mem.htm

as fyi,
    refer to the VSF best practice guide in this thread, it also covers replacing a VSF member within a stack.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=ed435687-5634-4891-b857-de9eec710512

------------------------------
    Steve Bartlett

• 4.  RE: HOW TO REPLACE A FAULTY 6300M IN A CLUSTER

Posted Jun 21, 2022 10:11 AM
    Thanks to all good people. I will read through all and feedback
    Regards

--
    Stay Blessed
    +233559449484

• 5.  RE: HOW TO REPLACE A FAULTY 6300M IN A CLUSTER

Posted Jun 21, 2022 01:40 PM

Thanks so much Steve

Please how do I then make the new member switch the master. Is there any CLI command to achieve this or once connected with the same firmware and factory default settings it will take the master role automatically?

Thanks
    --
    Stay Blessed
    +233559449484

• 6.  RE: HOW TO REPLACE A FAULTY 6300M IN A CLUSTER

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2022 04:55 AM
    Hi Danny,

as the conductor has already failed, and there is standby in place taking over from the conductor, the standby becomes the new conductor.
    When the old conductor is replaced, the new switch becomes the standby device for the stack without disruption. (it doesn't become the conductor).

See the considerations and best practice section in the VSF guide.
    https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads;search=VSF;sort=VERSION_DESC;fileTypes=DOCUMENT;products=Aruba%20Switches;productSeries=Aruba%206300%20Switch%20Series;softwareMajorVersions=10.09

regards, Steve

Steve Bartlett