Developer

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

How to use an external api to create an authentication source in ClearPass

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  How to use an external api to create an authentication source in ClearPass

Posted Jan 31, 2023 07:38 PM

Hi:

One the suggestion of cjoseph I am moving my question here.

From ClearPass I need to be able to use something like a request module to query an API on an external system so I can hand that system a cert along with the user name and one time password for an yes/no authentication response.

Doing this in Perl or Python would involve a simple POST request and based on the outcome of the authentication request a sting is returned for processing.

When I go to Configuration -> Authentication -> Sources in ClearPass and try to add a new source I see there is a type "HTTP" but don't think that I can both do a POST from there with an attached cert then process the response.  Is something like this possible in ClearPass?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Mike

• 2.  RE: How to use an external api to create an authentication source in ClearPass

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 31, 2023 07:40 PM
    Hi Mike,

Do you have look the API swagger ? (https://@IP/api-docs/)

------------------------------
    PowerArubaSW : Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP...

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...)

PowerArubaCL: Powershell Module to use Aruba Central

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)..

ACEP / ACMX #107 / ACDX #1281

• 3.  RE: How to use an external api to create an authentication source in ClearPass

Posted Feb 01, 2023 05:01 AM
    HTTP auth source is just HTTP basic authentication if I remember correctly.

I don't think there is a way to use a REST API as authentication or authorization source. 
    Something like this is only supported through extensions, but as far as I know there is no way to create a custom extension on your own.

But you can use a REST API policy enforcement. But this enforcement will fire only once and does not work with the results from the server.

Thanks,
    Bjarne

• 4.  RE: How to use an external api to create an authentication source in ClearPass

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 01, 2023 06:34 AM
    Hi,

you can use oauth if you want use API with auth...

PowerArubaSW : Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP...

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...)

PowerArubaCL: Powershell Module to use Aruba Central

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)..

ACEP / ACMX #107 / ACDX #1281

• 5.  RE: How to use an external api to create an authentication source in ClearPass

Posted Feb 03, 2023 09:43 AM
    Follow this steps and get fix. Determine the API specifications and requirements, such as API endpoint, authentication method, and response format. 
    Create an API client in ClearPass to connect to the external API. This includes specifying the API endpoint, authentication method, and response format.
    Configure an authentication source in ClearPass using the API client. This involves selecting the API client, setting the authentication method, and specifying the attributes to be retrieved from the API.
    Test the authentication source by sending test authentication requests and verifying that the correct response is received from the API.
    Integrate the authentication source into a ClearPass policy, to control access to network resources based on the authentication response from the API.
    Monitor the authentication source and update the API client and authentication source configuration as needed to ensure that the authentication source continues to work properly.

• 6.  RE: How to use an external api to create an authentication source in ClearPass

Posted Feb 03, 2023 09:54 AM
    > Configure an authentication source in ClearPass using the API client.

How do I do that? 
    I can not create an API authentication source:

Thanks,
    Bjarne