Comware

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

Posted Jul 12, 2023 11:36 PM

I need some help here. After a failed firmware upgrade of my perfectly working switch to the latest version 1950_12XGT-CMW710-R5106P06.ipe through the gui none of the lights came up.

Eventually I connected through the console port and all the switch shows upon booting up is:

Press Ctrl+D to access BASIC BOOT MENU
    Press Ctrl+E to start flash test       

And just keeps repeating that forever. So it looks like not only is the running config gone but the entire running image or any image for that matter ! How do I proceed from here in order to get back up and running again ? When I enter that basic boot menu I get:

I suppose this is my only way to get an image back in the switch but I'm not familiar with this procedure at all. I'm running for noob-friendly step by step instructions. Thanks for your help.

• 2.  RE: HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

Posted Jul 13, 2023 02:42 AM

First check if your terminal emulation sw support xmodem protocol. 

If yes, then just follow the instructions.

How to start xmodem is emulator specific hence you need to dig out instructions for your case. Usually you will find something like file transfer choice in one of the menus

For example in TeraTerm

Best, Gorazd

------------------------------
    Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Expert 2023

• 3.  RE: HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

Posted Jul 13, 2023 08:32 AM

Thanks. I downloaded Tera Term and used it to try and upload my .ipe image using option nr 3 "upload basic rom"

As you can see I'm getting "no basic bootrom file". Should I have uploaded the .ipe as extended bootrom instead or should I obtain a different image to upload first ? How should I proceed exactly  ?

• 4.  RE: HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

Posted Jul 13, 2023 04:25 PM

Update: by now I have tried all 3 options using the .ipe image and clearly the basic boot menu is not capable of extracting automatically a .bin or .btw file from it so my only option at this point I believe will be to obtain a valid .btw file to upload because that's the only thing that will be accepted by this menu and it' s the only option I've got.

anyone know where to obtain such a .btw bootrom image file? I dont' see them in the software download section

• 5.  RE: HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

Posted Jul 14, 2023 02:40 AM

Did you try to boot into Extended Boot Menu?

There you have an option to upload .ipe file

<2> Enter Serial SubMenu

Download files with XMODEM and upgrade the Comware software through the console port.

Upgrading Comware software through the console port

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Expert 2023

• 6.  RE: HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

Posted Jul 14, 2023 04:42 AM

yes I did. Here's what I get when I try that option:

but nothing appears it goes straight back into the same loop:

so it looks like the failed gui firmware upgrade wiped out that part as well and in order to restore it I will need to first install a .btm or .btw file as extended bootrom image to start from before I will be able to use that in order to upload .ipe files

• 7.  RE: HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

Posted 14 days ago

Hi, just wondering if this was ever sorted?

I have exactly the same issue on a JH295A switch. Have tried all the above with exactly the same results.

• 8.  RE: HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

Posted 14 days ago
    Yes. But not via HP.

• 9.  RE: HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

Posted 14 days ago

Hi,

no, not at all. no reply nothing. That switch has been rotting upstairs ever since and I bought a brand new Ubiquity 10Gb switch to replace it. Zero problems there.

kind regards,

Andy Vanderbeken

• 10.  RE: HP 1950 (hj295a) switch no longer boots after failed firmware upgrade

Posted 8 days ago

Yea it's getting close for me too. However, I've had more issue with Ubiquiti than HPE so they still need to make a few more f***ups to get that bad for me to go there. My switch is still under warranty so I guess I could go down that route but seems pretty dumb I can't just get the file I need.