Comware

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

HP A7506 connecting to HP 5130's

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  HP A7506 connecting to HP 5130's

Posted Dec 28, 2023 02:07 PM

We have a HP A7506 Core Switch that is feeding (15) HP 5130 switches downstream using SFP SR transcievers over OM1 fiber. In preparation for some upgrades I changed a handful of the SFP ports of the downstream 5130's from Auto Negotiate to Speed 1000, Duplex Full. I had to make the same change on the A7506 where the downstream switches were connected to maintain connectivity.

What I am finding now is:

1.      All but two switches are working as expected with the change (Speed 1000, Duplex Full) still in place.

2.      Of the two switches that are not working completely:

i)       All connected devices with static IP's work as expected.

ii)     All connected devices that require a DHCP address are not getting DHCP addresses.

iii)   Each switch has a separate DHCP VLAN configured on it.

(1)   I tested each DHCP VLAN on a switch that doesn't have this problem and the VLAN is getting DHCP addresses issued on it

3.      I spun up a new switch without setting the SFP port to Speed 1000, Duplex Full and connected it directly to the A7506 and it works as expected (DHCP devices get IP Addresses). The SFP port on the A7506 for this device is set to auto negotiate.

i)       Taking the new switch to the location of one of the switches not working and it will only connect if I change the port configuration to Speed 1000, Duplex Full, even using the same SFP port from Step 3.

ii)     The downstream switches that are not working are in different buildings with at least three patch panels to get to the end point.

iii)   Everything was working without issue for at least 1 year before changing the switch ports from auto negotiate.

4.      DHCP is done from a Windows Server and works everywhere else.

Any ideas why no DHCP service?

Tom

• 2.  RE: HP A7506 connecting to HP 5130's

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 29, 2023 11:19 AM

Hi!

"In preparation for some upgrades I changed a handful of the SFP ports of the downstream 5130's from Auto Negotiate to Speed 1000, Duplex Full"

Why exactly?

Auto-Negotiation should be the preferred way (set on both ends).

I would have expected a more broad impact to all connected downstream peers (5130) with a similar change...I mean: changing connectivity settings generally (if this is the case) impact the layer 1 connectivity and all above layers will suffer from that...not only the DHCP broadcast transport. Maybe there is something along the path(s) for a particular subset of downstream peers connected to the Core HPE 7506.

• 3.  RE: HP A7506 connecting to HP 5130's

Posted Dec 29, 2023 12:44 PM

Thanks

• 4.  RE: HP A7506 connecting to HP 5130's

Posted Dec 31, 2023 03:51 PM

Still looking for help on this. If it matters all the switches involved are connected using SFP SR fiber transceivers and the two switches affected are the furthest away from the A7506

• 5.  RE: HP A7506 connecting to HP 5130's

Posted Jan 02, 2024 08:22 AM

Do you have a DHCP helper address set on the vlans for the affected switches?

• 6.  RE: HP A7506 connecting to HP 5130's

Posted Jan 02, 2024 09:04 AM

The DHCP Relay is configured on the VLAN Interface which is on the A7506. This configuration has worked well for several months until I changed the port from auto-negotiate.

• 7.  RE: HP A7506 connecting to HP 5130's
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 03, 2024 08:05 AM

How about some kind of firewall rule that's preventing the UDP traffic from those vlans?  Or perhaps the trunk ports aren't carrying the vlan like they were before?  Perhaps they fell out of an LACP bundle they were in before?  Out of curiosity, have you tried setting it back to Auto?  I'm kind of with you, auto stands for you "auto" not use that.

• 8.  RE: HP A7506 connecting to HP 5130's

Posted Jan 03, 2024 08:56 AM

Thanks Kirby. I figured it out late yesterday and you are correct when you suggested the ports not carrying the VLANs like they were before. It turned out to be mislabled cables.