Comware

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

HPE 5130 backup comware

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  HPE 5130 backup comware

Posted Jan 16, 2024 10:48 AM

Is it possible to back up the firmware on my switch? It's a JG937A.

I'd like to back it up either to FTP or TFTP or something, in case I lose it by mistake.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: HPE 5130 backup comware

Posted Jan 17, 2024 05:46 AM

Hi, if you type dir on the CLI you can see all the files. Any of these can be transferred including startup.cfg to back up the config.

An example download command is below. Swap the filename to get what you need.

scp ftp.company.com put <filename> /directory/<filename>

The .ipe file is the one you want to be able to backup the switch or use the file for another. Check out the manual for recovering from a file issue to know how to make use of the file.

• 3.  RE: HPE 5130 backup comware

Posted Jan 17, 2024 05:57 AM

Thank you very much for your answer.

I would believe that if I copy all the files from my switch to my ftp server I should be able to revive it in case I by mistake clear it of all files. I don't believe my switch has a .ipe file but only .bin files, one called boot and one called system.

It seems like scp is secure FTP. I have a local server running but it's only running on port 21. I am also unsure how to pass login information to the switch.

I tried to search on how to login using scp on the switch, I can only find forum threads about it being slow.

Nonetheless your answer has got me going, I'll look into it in a few hours.

• 4.  RE: HPE 5130 backup comware

Posted Jan 17, 2024 02:04 PM
    Hi, I just wanted to highlight that if a problem occurs with those bin files and the switch reboots or power cycles, you won't be able to simply FTP the same files back. Read up on the recovery procedure which includes breaking the boot cycle. You can then transfer files over tftp.

Ian

• 5.  RE: HPE 5130 backup comware

Posted Jan 18, 2024 02:50 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I found this out the hard way. I wanted to do the excercise of deleting and putting it back, however I ended up with a useless switch now.

Files for update are behind a paywall so I guess I have an extra brick in the house now.

Great how HP is forcing you out of their products, this will be the last HP switch I ever own.

Turns out my HP switch has the flash issue, and after formatting the flash using CTRL + B menu when it starts breaks it completely. There is only one single boot firmware file that can fix the flash, and is, of course also, behind a paywall.

So even if I could get the .ipe file I am still stuck at needing the repair the flash and reformat it using the boot firmware which is impossible to get. I'd rather not pay 10x what the switch is worth just to get it working again.

• 6.  RE: HPE 5130 backup comware

Posted Jan 19, 2024 10:25 AM

There is no "Pay Wall" when downloading HPE firmware updates. You do need to create a login, but that's at no cost. https://asp.arubanetworks.com.

In addition to that, no-charge product support for faults caused by software or hardware is available to the original owner for the duration of the lifetime of the product, per the warranty statement when the switch is sold. (For 5130's, that's at least through mid-2028, possibly longer depending on when the switch was first bought.)

Note: SCP is NOT secure FTP (typically called SFTP.)

I'd be interested to know what you mean by your switch having "the flash issue". I've deployed dozens of these over the years and am unaware of any flash issues.

Have you followed one of the (freely available) firmware recovery procedures using the freely-available firmware IPE file from asp.arubanetworks.com, such as this one? Upgrading Comware software through the console port (hpe.com)

I'm also somewhat perplexed by the sentiment that HPE is "forcing you out of their products" and that you consider the entire brand tarnished when - at least from what was shared thus far - you have been the architect of your particular predicament, likely from misunderstanding the very clear (freely-available) product documentation :-/

• 7.  RE: HPE 5130 backup comware

Posted Jan 17, 2024 08:06 AM

Sorry for double post, but I managed to find a solution and I can't edit my last post.

I created a new FTP on the local synology NAS which was secure FTP, so port is 22. When running the copy command it does pop up and ask for username and password for the FTP, however it kept failing with "permission denied" despite using the full admin account for the whole synology NAS.

So feeling a bit defeated and not knowing what the next step could be, I found out that in the switch GUI there is actually a page that lets you download each file individually. So using firefox and logging into the switch using https I was able to download all the files. I am no longer scared I might screw up the files.

Thank you!