Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

This thread has been viewed 46 times
  • 1.  IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

MVP
    Posted Dec 16, 2022 01:24 AM
    Hello,

I am trying to set up ldap authentication (NO RADIUS) for wlan security using AD username and password. The user should be able to connect any devices (personal and work). After setting this up, I am able to sign in using Android phone (used Don't validate CA option). But I am not able to sign in to windows machines. Please see attached. The IAP is managed by Aruba Central. Please help me in setting up this. Requirement is to have the user connect to any of his gadgets (android, iphone, laptops etc.) using just his AD username and password. 

Thank you,

• 2.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 16, 2022 01:10 PM
    Can you share the details of the WLAN setup (Each section if possible)? Also a screenshot of your LDAP server settings (omit what you do not want to share)

------------------------------
    Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

MVP
    Posted Dec 17, 2022 04:05 AM
    Hello Dustin,

Please see WLAN settings below.

LDAP settings.

As I said, Android phone is working. But windows client give error "Can't connect to this network". And there is no radius server.

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2022 01:35 PM
    If you are using 802.1x with ldap (with eap termination), the only eap type you can use is EAP-GTC, which is not available for windows outside of installing a supplicant on all of those machines.  It is advised to use radius for all 802.1x authentication.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

MVP
    Posted Dec 17, 2022 04:08 AM
    Hi cjoseph,

The customer doesn't have a radius server and they want to authenticate wireless clients using LDAP. It's working for android phones but windows clients are giving error "Can't connect to this network". Is there any way we can use LDAP for wireless authentication using username and password?

Thanks,

• 6.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2022 04:11 AM
    Is the customer using Active Directory?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 7.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

MVP
    Posted Dec 18, 2022 05:24 AM
    Yes..

• 8.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2022 05:30 AM
    If the answer is yes, Windows Server comes with a free radius server that can be installed by adding the Windows Component NPS. The can use that for radius authentication and it will support all clients.  Do a search for Windows NPS on here for instructions.

• 9.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

MVP
    Posted Dec 18, 2022 06:06 AM
    So Windows NPS will support authentication for all devices (including personal gadgets and work computers) with just username and password right?

• 10.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2022 06:11 AM
    Correct.  You will have to configure those devices correctly, however.

• 11.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2022 04:12 AM
    Android has a built in supplicant that is capable of EAP-GTC.  Windows does not.  It is worth looking at the android settings to see how it is configured for clients that connect successfully to confirm.

• 12.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2022 03:58 AM
    Please be informed that with the 'Don't validate certificate' option, your clients will happily post your credentials to any network that 'spoofs' the same SSID.

It's not possible to create a secure authentication with username-password unless you have full control (management) over the client.
    Use EAP-TLS with client certificates as the only solution to deploy secure authentication.

LDAP (to Active Directory) will not expose the user's password, which is required to do PEAP-MSCHAPv2 authentication, so in practice LDAP authentication is not even possible for wireless clients (as mentioned by others).

Please consult your Aruba partner or Aruba SE to make sure that you deploy according to appropriate security standards.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 13.  RE: IAP 515 WLAN LDAP authentication

MVP
    Posted Dec 20, 2022 04:35 AM
    Hi Herman,

Noted. As Joseph here suggested, I will try to set up Windows NPS as a radius server for wireless client authentication. In this case it is possible to authenticate the user with username/password alone right?? Also the customer want to use the AD credentials for all the devices user has (including personal devices).

Thanks,