Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP- DRT still not compliant with local regulatory -Europe, France - forbidden 5GHz channels

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  IAP- DRT still not compliant with local regulatory -Europe, France - forbidden 5GHz channels

Posted 18 days ago

Hello There,

There is still a problem with 5GHz available on IAP (AP-505, version 8.11.2.2 /  DRT version 1.0_89073 )

channels 149 to 165 are not allowed, but still available to IAP :

See ETSI EN 301 893 section 4.2.3.2.2 (table 2) : 5725 MHz is the upper limit allowed.

And also ETSI EN 301 893 V1.5.1 (2008-12)  in chapter 1 (scope) :  The equipment is intended to operate in the frequency ranges 5 150 MHz to 5 350 MHz and 5 470 MHz to 5 725 MHz.  

I saw a discussion 4 years ago concerning this (Austria) but seems to be the same.

If someone has a regulatory update to point me to, I'm interested.

------------------------------
    Frederic
    (kudos welcome)

• 2.  RE: IAP- DRT still not compliant with local regulatory -Europe, France - forbidden 5GHz channels

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 17 days ago

Not my words, just sharing the information:

5725-5875MHz is not allocated for Wide Band data transmission devices, however, it is available for use by non-specific short range devices, for which more restrictive power limits apply.

Important note:  Implementing decision EU 2017/1483, row #61, allows unrestricted operation in the band 5725-5875MHz by non-specific SRDs with a max transmit power of 25mW EIRP.  The applicable standard is EN 300 440

Footnote  - The non-specific short-range device category covers all kinds of radio devices, regardless of the application or the purpose, which fulfil the technical conditions as specified for a given frequency band. Typical uses include telemetry, telecommand, alarms, data transmissions in general and other applications.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: IAP- DRT still not compliant with local regulatory -Europe, France - forbidden 5GHz channels

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 17 days ago

I like the WLAN Channel Page on Wikipedia for such information. If you search there for Europe, there is a 'note 11' from 2017 that opened up those additional channels. Output power for those channels is limited to 25 mW; but there is no DFS... so perfect for high density.

[edited 25 dBm -> 25 mW]

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: IAP- DRT still not compliant with local regulatory -Europe, France - forbidden 5GHz channels

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 17 days ago

That's correct, except that it's 25mW (14dBm) instead of 25dBm.

/Onno Harms, Aruba Wireless Product Management

• 5.  RE: IAP- DRT still not compliant with local regulatory -Europe, France - forbidden 5GHz channels

Posted 15 days ago

Hi All

Thank you for participating in this discussion (that's what I like the most in communities !)

European regulation uses 2 different terms (see DECISION (EU) 2019/1345 ) : "Non-specific short-range devices (SRDs)" and "Wideband data transmission devices" ("radio devices that use wideband modulation techniques to access the spectrum. Ty­pical  uses  include  wireless  access  systems  such as  radio  local  area networks  (WAS/RLANs) or wideband SRDs in data networks.")

It seems that Wi-Fi is placed in this second category (see row 57c), not the first one. Therefore, even if not explicitly said, non-specific SRD's do not include Wi-Fi, and row 61 (5 725-5 875 MHz) should not be used for that.

Since the term "short-range" is not clearly defined, it is effectively questionnable.

For me it's a "grey" zone, that shall not trigger any regulatory issue (if 25mW/14dBm limit is respected).

to be continued...

Frederic
    (kudos welcome)

• 6.  RE: IAP- DRT still not compliant with local regulatory -Europe, France - forbidden 5GHz channels

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 14 days ago

Pretty sure we didn't unilaterally make the decision to use those channels just based on the regulation wording, we probably talked directly with the regulatory body to get clarification as needed.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110