Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

Posted Sep 16, 2022 10:52 AM
    Hi 
    is it possible to change the IAP Firmware as a zero touch deployment for  out of the Box access points ?
    for example , plug in the new AP to the network and you give the AP via DHCP Server the TFTP Server ip and the path where the AP have to download the desired Firmware.

tftp server option is available in the DHCP request , and boot file name as well , but that will change only the config and won't start any firmware download.

Are the any NON Airwave, Ansible solutions already out there ?
    Regards Markus

• 2.  RE: IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2022 06:46 PM
    You can use Aruba Central and configure Firmware compliance for a specific group or all the groups.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

Posted Sep 19, 2022 12:51 AM
    sorry but Aruba Central is not an option because of cost and security

• 4.  RE: IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 19, 2022 02:38 AM
    in your case , AFAIK IAPs will not automatically upgrade, you need some kind of script.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

Posted Sep 19, 2022 01:03 PM
    Hello 

I would be interested in this thread as well. Are there on premise options as my client infrastructure does not make use of Aruba Central and has a fully on-premise environment. 
    Is there any way to leverage Airwave or the Wireless controllers/conductors to offer this functionality? 

Thanks,
    Callum

• 6.  RE: IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

Posted Sep 20, 2022 06:11 AM
    You can use Aruba Activate (free service) to automatically upgrade your APs when they are connected to the network for the first time.

You need to request Activate account creation from Aruba and provide proof of purchase for APs. 

As there are many ways to add equipment to the Activate (usually it is automatically added, when the purchase is made) the best is to look into Activate documentation.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj

• 7.  RE: IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

Posted Sep 20, 2022 08:50 AM
    Aruba activate seems do be now Greenlake ?? And Greenlake is a Cloudservice where i cant use.
    But is seems to be possible to update IAP´s by a Zero touch deployment , but Aruba keeps the process in secret how it works.

• 8.  RE: IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

Posted Sep 20, 2022 09:34 AM
    Yes it is. But you only need to register free Greenlake account and then request Aruba Activate App to be added to your Greenlake portal. It does not require, as far as I know, any Greenlake or Aruba subscriptions.

ZTP rely on Aruba Activate to upgrade APs.

It could be also that you provide tftp address and filename via DHCP, but I never try it. It should be documented but it wasn't on my radar as I use AirWave and Activate. These local options are good for local deployment inside the campus. For multiple locations Aruba Activate is more convenient. 

Best, Gorazd

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj

• 9.  RE: IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 20, 2022 09:06 AM
    Airwave will upgrade the a cluster.  https://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/HPE/MigratedAssets/DeployingInstantInAirWave.pdf

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 10.  RE: IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 20, 2022 06:34 PM
    yes you can do ztp and upgrade IAPs with Airwave,
    when you configure groups for IAPs in Airwave, you can "Enforce Group Firmware Version"

• 11.  RE: IAP Firmware upgrade out of the Box

Posted Sep 21, 2022 01:32 AM
    OK , but Airwave is no longer a option and Cloud Services are not usable and Central on-prem have to less features compared to Airwave