Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

This thread has been viewed 51 times
  • 1.  IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

Posted Sep 07, 2022 11:02 AM
    Hi

i have an IAP WLAN Net consisting of one 345 and 2x315 on ver.8.9.0.3_83448

It is used for Home-Office and Home User.
    I setup the SSID as far as needed with WPA2 and also added Services like Chromecast.
    Nevertheless although the 345 is in the middle of the room, the performance is really bad sometimes,
    as the Chromecast about 3m distance looses connection and reconnects during the day several times.
    Another thing is I have a battery powered Webcam that can connect to the SSID but it doesn't really get performance,
    as video transfer doesn't work.
    If i place my Cellphone as Hotspot next to the AP, the Webcam connects easily and Video performs nicely.

Is there some special Config switches which i have to activate so that my IAP WLAN acts like a normal WLAN?
    I tried to disable Client Match, activated 802.11v/k .. nothing of these helped.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BR Harald

• 2.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2022 08:20 PM
    we need more info on this like what authentication are you using for your WLAN? is it PSK based?
    Also are you running all the APs /wireless users in same VLAN/subnet?

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

Posted Sep 08, 2022 12:35 AM
    Hi

As it is a home Office with home users too, as mentioned, it is WPA2- Personal (PSK) and all users and AP are in one VLAN.

• 4.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2022 12:56 AM
    From the VC, please take a screenshot of
    - Dashboard Access Points
    - Dashboard clients (particularly to see chromecast as a client)

also I hope you have not enabled Airgroup which is under Configuration->service, if you have enabled it, just disable it.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

Posted Sep 08, 2022 01:48 AM

2 Devices are specially having troubles.. Thats the Chromecast and the device above 105591360 which is the Webcam.

AirGroup is disabled.

• 6.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2022 02:07 AM
    looks like all your clients are connecting to 2.4GHz radio and not to 5GHz.
    I am assuming your clients support dual band, is that correct?
    if so we can adjust the Tx power for 2.4/5Ghz radio to get them to connect to 5GHz instead.

• 7.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

Posted Sep 08, 2022 04:09 AM
    the Webcam only supports 2.4 GHz, 
    when the Chromecast supports 5GHz then this would be OK..

• 8.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2022 05:35 AM
    To start with, I suggest to set the min/max Tx power for 2.4GHz radio to 6/9
    and for 5GHz radio to 18/24. You should see all your 5GHz cabale clients connect to 5GHz radio and check the overall performance.

for 2.4GHz
    and for 5GHz

• 9.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

Posted Sep 08, 2022 11:47 AM
    It did change the Chromecast to work with 5GHz, but all other devices that depend on 2.4 GHz now have all bad speeds, so i guess i will undo this

• 10.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

Posted Sep 14, 2022 03:33 PM
    I now added a SSID with only 5GHz active and added the ChromeCast, after a minute it began reconnecting in intervalls again,
    so the change didn't bring a better result :-(

• 11.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2022 09:03 AM
    This is really hard to tell.

Do you see the same issue on both of your APs?
    Do all of your clients experience this issue, or just a few?
    Especially the Chromecast surprises me as these are quite recent and don't give any issues. I have multiple Chromecasts on my Aruba network and these work rock-solid.

Could it be that you have a broadcast storm, bad cable, overloaded network ports? These types of issues are typically seen on overloaded uplink ports, but then it should be for all devices, not just the IoT devices.

If you have access to Aruba support (with valid support contract) you could ask them.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 12.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2022 09:32 AM
    Many of these devices might use broadcast technology to 'find eachother'. By default, Instant AP will block broadcast to increase performance, but that breaks these types of broadcast/multicast solutions unless you enable and properly configure Airgroup.

You could try to see if that is the issue by disabling Broadcast filter under 'step 1' of the SSID configuration and then under Advanced settings:
    Set to disabled to allow broadcast/multicast.

You may also 'play' with HT/VHT/HE:
    High Throughput = 802.11n (should be good even for most IoT devices)
    Very High Throughput = 802.11ac (will probably not be supported by IoT devices anyway)
    High efficiency = 802.11ax (unlikely to be supported by IoT devices)

Most clients will be happy to connect to an SSID with all 3 enabled, but there may be some exceptions.

Also, how do you determine that a device is disconnected? Is that that you can't see/discover the device (previous point), or do you see something on the client or AP that indicates that de client is disconnected from the AP?

Please note that having clients and AP (management) in the same VLAN is not recommended, but should work in such a small setup.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 13.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

Posted Sep 08, 2022 11:52 AM
    I disabled BroadCast Filtering already earlier.

the 3 Option is also tried, but with no change.

Determine Disconnect: Well when i have connect to the ChromeCast with a Stream and then the Stream stops on ChromeCast, but
    work on the Cellphone and then the ChromeCast shows on the Screen, that the WLAN is disconnected.

On the Webcam the System says low performance Connect and no video works, but the Webcam shows in the CLientlist and the Detections of the Webcam deliver an alarm and a pic to the App.

• 14.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2022 07:59 AM
    Strange behavior, which I don't really recognize. If you have access to Aruba Support, please open a case with them.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 15.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2022 08:46 PM
    I have a chromecast that connects to 1x IAP running 8.9.0.3 with no issues.
    so do you see your chromecast connecting to multiple APs or just one?

• 16.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

Posted Sep 20, 2022 09:52 AM
    HI

the Chromecast stays one IAP.

• 17.  RE: IAP Net with 345/315 does not work well with legacy or IoT devices

Posted Sep 20, 2022 09:49 AM
    Hi
    sadly i do not have an Aruba Support.
    It's just strange as i reseted one of the 315 IAP and made him freshly setup and even in this setup,
    the Webcam nor the ChromeCast worked well.
    As it workes with an Cellphone Hotspot perfect i have to guess that the Problem
    is in the Aruba Configs and i hoped someone else also has had these and solved them.
    In general i think Aruba is a High Quality product and so it should be possible to adjust the IAP to work with the
    mentioned devices.

Harald