Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

iAP225: Can enet1 port be used as downlink to another switch with more devices while enet0 is the uplink?

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  iAP225: Can enet1 port be used as downlink to another switch with more devices while enet0 is the uplink?

Posted May 08, 2023 07:55 AM

Hi there,

I run an iAP225 in a flat, which works just fine. The conduit up to this flat is quite narrow, insufficient for a second network cable. Is there a way of using the enet1 port of the iAP225 instead for connecting more wired network devices? If that's possible, could someone outline how this can be configured? The link between enet0 and the main switch of the house runs a few VLANs that I would all need to have available on the enet1 link...

Best,

Michael

• 2.  RE: iAP225: Can enet1 port be used as downlink to another switch with more devices while enet0 is the uplink?

Posted May 08, 2023 12:26 PM

Is this AP running managed with a controller or running as an IAP? What software release? 

------------------------------
    If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.
    Zak Chalupka
    Principal Engineer - HPE Aruba
    ACDX | ACMP | ACSP | ACCP
    wifizak@hpe.com
    Ideas expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE Aruba.

• 3.  RE: iAP225: Can enet1 port be used as downlink to another switch with more devices while enet0 is the uplink?

Posted May 08, 2023 12:28 PM

Hi,

it is running without controller as iAP. The version is 8.6.0.6.

Best,
    Michael

• 4.  RE: iAP225: Can enet1 port be used as downlink to another switch with more devices while enet0 is the uplink?

Posted May 08, 2023 12:32 PM

Great.
    So, start with the TechDoc linked below. Let me know if you have any questions. 
    Ethernet Downlink Overview (arubanetworks.com)

If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.
    Zak Chalupka
    Principal Engineer - HPE Aruba
    ACDX | ACMP | ACSP | ACCP
    wifizak@hpe.com
    Ideas expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE Aruba.

• 5.  RE: iAP225: Can enet1 port be used as downlink to another switch with more devices while enet0 is the uplink?

Posted May 31, 2023 07:13 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Zak,

sorry, took a while to get back about this. Have holidays now and now I can finally look into this again...

I had a look at the document you sent, but I fail to make sense of it. Even the first sentence in the steps of the description I don't understand:

Click on the Wired link on the top right corner of the Instant

When I'm logging into the web-UI of my master iAP-225, the top right corner of the window only shows four symbols: A magnifying glass, a bell, a circled question mark, and a user symbol. And the screenshots in the document look completely different from anything I can find in my web-UI. Could it be that this document is for a different scenario (like APs managed by a central controller)?

I currently run three Instant AP-225s in my network. At this moment, I only need a eth1-downlink on one of them. I would expect this to be a configuration that is specific to a single slave AP. In the web-UI I could not find anything under Configuration -> Access Points -> (select one AP in question from AP list) -> Edit...

I'm quite fluent on the console/CLI. Are threre CLI instructions somewhere to configure eth1 as a downlink (while eth0 is used as the uplink) on a single AP out of a total of three for version 8.6.0.6? I'd simply like to pass on all the VLANs available on the eth0 link. So, like bridging eth1 and eth0 (while keeping eth0 as uplink).

Best,

Michael

• 6.  RE: iAP225: Can enet1 port be used as downlink to another switch with more devices while enet0 is the uplink?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2023 07:55 AM

The Aruba Instant CLI Reference guide covers the commands needed. Please ensure the documentation is referring to the IAP version in use.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Aruba-Instant-8.x-Books/Aruba-Instant-8.x-CLI-Guide.pdf

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/CLI-Bank/Content/landing-pages/instant-home.htm

As I recall, in the VC Web UI, if one selects a specific IAP, there is a page that offers the ethX configuration specific to that IAP.

In the ap-specific command (show ap -env)

enet1-mode {downlink | uplink}

The cluster-wide wired-port-profile on eth1 should set the desired config, staying aware this will apply to all IAPs if eth1 becomes active, which may create undesirable results if an IAP tries to use eth0 and eth1 as uplinks, while each port has a differing wired-port-profile.

Hope this helps.

Shawn Adams

• 7.  RE: iAP225: Can enet1 port be used as downlink to another switch with more devices while enet0 is the uplink?

Posted May 31, 2023 08:27 AM

Hi Shawn,

according to the documentation, the eth1-mode command (https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/CLI-Bank/Content/instant/enet1-mode.htm) was introduced on in version 8.8.0.0 (and all I have is 8.6.0.6). Would not mind updating, but when I search for Centaurus software, I only get to see updates up to v8.6. Could it be that v8.8 is not available for the Centaurus (iAP-225) hardware? Or do I need to ask in teh Support Portal to have v8.8 software downloads enabled for my account?

Best,

Michael

• 8.  RE: iAP225: Can enet1 port be used as downlink to another switch with more devices while enet0 is the uplink?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2023 01:18 PM

Apologies for my error, just checked in lab, indeed the ap-env specific command does not exist in 8.6

Centaurus AP models do not support higher than 8.6. 

Centaurus   
            AP-224,225
            IAP 214,215
            IAP-274,275
            IAP-277
            IAP-228

AOS/IAP 8.8 and 8.9 are Short term release, the recommendation if supported by the AP models is 8.10.0.6. 

Looking at Centaurus with 8.6 or 8.7, let me correct my earlier post.

The original question is how to use the AP-225 eth1 to extend the L2 VLAN where the IAPs connect and connect  other devices ?
    If the device were another IAP in the same cluster, the user Guide refers to this as "hierarchical clustering".

With 8.7 or previous versions, the only method to do this is
    with a wired-port-profile unique to eth1, trunking the required vlans, which yes, is applied to all IAPs in the cluster.

Ensure that the eth1 wired-port-profile disables the uplink:

no uplink-enable 

The CLI config should end up something like this:

wired-port-profile wired-downlink-trust-trunk
    switchport-mode trunk
    allowed-vlan 1,140,141
    native-vlan 1
    trusted
    no shutdown
    spanning-tree
    speed auto
    duplex auto