Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP315 Problems with Airprint

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  IAP315 Problems with Airprint

Posted Nov 16, 2022 11:13 AM
    There seems to be a fair number of posts on Airprint but I cannot seem to find a resolution or changes to settings that helps.

We have a simple setup that we are trying to get Airprint to work on with less than a dozen APs (as noted in subject) running controllerless on Instant and a Airprint compatible printer to be used for mobile printing. Access is only needed on 1x SSID and there are not multiple VLANS to worry about. The Apple protocols have been enabled and inter-user bridging is NOT blocked.

The symptoms are confirmed as follows...

IF the printer AND IOS device are on the same AP, everything works flawlessly.
    But as soon as one, or the other, picks up on a different AP - all too easy - no printer can be found.

If the printer and mobile devices are moved to BOTH be on a different AP, once again everything works great.

Note - I do not know if this type of an issue has been resolved with any firmware updates. We are due to do so. Comments related to Airprint problems in general seem to spread themselves over various firmware releases.

Any pointers on what may block the Airprint service from working BETWEEN APs but yet work well when connected to the same AP?
    Keep it simple if possible, please! : ))))

• 2.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 11:24 AM
    Is the user and the printer on the same layer 2 VLAN?
    What version of InstantOS is this?
    Is broadcast filtering set to ARP on the user SSID?
    Is the printer wired or wireless?

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

Posted Nov 16, 2022 02:24 PM
    >> Is the user and the printer on the same layer 2 VLAN?
    Yes - mentioned on same VLAN (only 1 anyway)

>> What version of InstantOS is this?

>> Is broadcast filtering set to ARP on the user SSID?
    Yes, ARP is the setting

>> Is the printer wired or wireless?
    printer is wireless (ie both are on same AP) and both are on same SSID
    Works fine on same AP. Not when printer is on AP1 and device is on AP2!? (still same SSID of course)

• 4.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 02:42 PM
    Set Broadcast Filtering to disabled (none) and see if it works.  If it works, Airgroup needs to be configured properly.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

Posted Nov 16, 2022 04:41 PM
    Thanks!

Will give that a shot and update as soon as I can. I had been eyeing that setting with prior issues but have not changed it since Airprint has worked with both devices on same AP.

My thought is that if Airprint is working when both devices are on same AP, it must be configured correctly and whatever it is, it should be something affecting inter-AP comm vs Airprint itself.

• 6.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

Posted Nov 19, 2022 01:14 PM
    Unfortunately, disabling Broadcast filtering did not help.
    The symptoms are identical.

Airprint works well if both devices are joined on the same AP. Otherwise the printer is not seen (focus here is IOS by the way). If both devices are moved to a different AP, the same thing happens. They WILL work until one or the other joins a different AP.

This is also (intentionally for isolation) a Guest network.
    But has mentioned client isolation is NOT enabled.

• 7.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2022 01:20 PM
    Are your users in the guest role blocking a specific type of traffic?

• 8.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

Posted Nov 20, 2022 09:12 AM
    Thanks.

No firewall or other issues that I'm aware of.

But keep in mind that if both devices (printer and IOS) are on same AP - everything works perfectly. Confirmed with multiple devices as 100% repeatable. Further, if both devices are moved within such close proximity they connect to a different AP, everything works as well on a different IP.

So, that should not be the case if there was a block.
    Also, it would unlikely to affect all devices.

• 9.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2022 09:51 AM
    Just gathering information. Some obscure combinations of things do not work.

Try using a different device and see if you can ping the printer from a different access point so we can see if MDNS or basic connectivity is not working.

• 10.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 21, 2022 05:19 PM
    Airprint discovery is based on multicast DNS. You have to configure Aruba Airgroups to achieve that.

---------------------------------
    Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own
    ---------------------------------

• 11.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2022 06:40 PM
    If Airgroup is disabled and there is no broadcast filtering, all devices should be able to see/reach each other through multicast unless it is somehow blocked.

• 12.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

Posted Nov 21, 2022 07:19 PM
    Airgroup has been configured and I had actually tried to disable Broadcast filtering but the symptoms were identical so I returned the setting to the original, default. Perhaps there is something in the multicast comment.

Sorry to need to ask but is that an independent setting from Airgroup and the related settings needed for Airprint?
    I think I recall settings for multicast in SSID setups but need to look.

• 13.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

Posted Nov 23, 2022 06:12 PM

hey cjoseph

Would what you are suggesting/mentioning affect airprint only BETWEEN APs?
    (btw, when broadcast filtering was removed and it still did not work*, I even rebooted all APs as a precaution but it did not help.)

If I may also, verify, are the multicast settings you speak of in the specific SSID configurations?

Thanks

* Once again - all is great for airprint when mobile device and printer are on same AP. Only when either device moves to a different AP is there then a problem.

• 14.  RE: IAP315 Problems with Airprint

Posted Nov 21, 2022 07:15 PM
    Thanks - yes, it has been configured...
    It would not work at all if this was not the case.