SD- Branch

View Only
last person joined: 11 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

ICMP redirect

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  ICMP redirect

Posted Aug 08, 2023 01:04 PM

Bit of a newbie on airheads so forgive me if not the right community.

In my setup I have branch gateway connecting to the Internet. I have LAN "A" on the LAN side which has a LAN "B" behind it connected with a router "AB". BGW has a static route to B via router AB.

Hosts on LAN A get an IP-address from the BGW with it as the default gateway. I can connect to the Internet from A and B, no problem.

My problem: When a host in B wants to connect to a host in A it fails. I can see the connection request on Host A come in via router AB and the reply being sent back via the BGW (it's Def-GW), but the rest is silence. The BGW doesn't seem to route or redirect the traffic. Weird thing is that when Host A initiates the connection to a host in B it works fine. Also, any host in B can connect to the BGW (and the Internet fine)

Is this a routing or an ACL issue? Where to look and what to test?

• 2.  RE: ICMP redirect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 09, 2023 05:26 AM

Do you see ICMP Redirect messages anywhere (from the title of your post)?

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: ICMP redirect

Posted Aug 09, 2023 02:09 PM

Did some more investigation. As said, Ping B to A is not working. Packet capture on A showed requests coming via the router AB interface and replies being sent to the LAN port of the BGW.

Ping A to B is working. Requests get sent to the LAN-interface of the BGW and replies from B come back in via the BGW LAN-interface (🤔), so I also captured on the router AB. That showed that the requests have both the source MAC and IP-Address of the BGW (!) which points to NAT happening on the LAN interface of the BGW. Re-examining the config on Central I noticed "NAT outside" was ticked on the LAN side VLAN. 

I unticked it and tested again. It fixed the issue.

The capture on host A is the same as when Ping B>A failed. Request comes in from Router AB and reply sent to BGW, but the capture on router AB shows IP-Host A as the source and MAC-LAN BGW. Ideally an ICMP redirect should point Host A to router AB, but I can live with the BGW in the path. A traceroute A > B shows 2 hops whereas the traceroute B>A shows only 1 hop. 

What does "NAT outside" do? 

• 4.  RE: ICMP redirect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2023 04:13 AM

NAT Outside will make traffic routed out of that interface to be NATted (Network Address Translation) to the interface IP (it will get the interface IP as it's source IP). That is how many internet routers are configured to support many devices behind one public internet IP.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.