Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

IMC OS license

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  IMC OS license

Posted Feb 21, 2024 09:38 AM

Greetings all.

We have HPE IMC running on CentOS 6 and are looking to either upgrade or start from scratch with a newer version of the IMC product (which will require a newer OS.)  I have opened a support request with TAC to verify possible upgrade paths, license migration, etc.  However, the support rep hasn't been able to find an answer about whether or not the RHEL versions of IMC include an appropriate OS license.

If we have IMC licenses (100 permanent) and choose to 'upgrade' to RHEL, does the product include an OS license or would we need to purchase a license from Red Hat?  Likewise, if a company purchases IMC and installs new, is the OS license for RHEL included?

We have a relatively small install and starting over with either RHEL or Windows will probably not be an issue; apparently there is no supported migration from Linux version to Windows version.  Sounds like migrating our existing product licenses won't be a problem; migrating existing data up to RHEL, or starting over with RHEL or Windows won't be too much of an issue; it's just the OS license for RHEL that we haven't found an answer to yet.

• 2.  RE: IMC OS license

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 21, 2024 11:18 AM
    Hi, AFAIK guest OS licensing is completely unrelated to the HPE IMC application licensing, read: IMC licensing does not cover/include any guest OS licensing, you're free to select the best OS + DB server (of choice), provided that they are supported by the HPE IMC...you can go with CentOS 7.9 (OK, it's not a good choice given its lifecycle) and MySQL or prefer Red Hat Linux (paying for its licensing/support)...or going to Microsoft paying for OS and SQL Server.

• 3.  RE: IMC OS license

Posted Feb 21, 2024 11:33 AM

Thanks for the response parnassus.  That at least makes the RHEL thing more clear.

I think I already know the answer to this, but would any of the other similar forks (Rocky, AlmaLinux) work?  I realize that they are NOT on the list of officially supported OSes...

• 4.  RE: IMC OS license

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 21, 2024 03:17 PM
    Personally I had hard time only few weeks ago trying both Rocky Linux 9.x and Rocky Linux 8.x setups (along with supported MySQL version) as guest OSes for a new HPE IMC deployment...and not because of a Rocky Linux's fault but because of an essential package (required by HPE IMC to pass all of its pre-installation required checks) which, if I recall correctly, isn't natively available on RL 9.x and it is not available on latest RL 8.x too (a package that can be easily found instead on CentOS 7.9 and, probably, also on RHEL at least up to a particular minor version of RHEL 8 line, say until 8.4 IIRC <- to my surprise I tried the RHEL 8.8/8.9 approach without success).

The lack of that package caused pre-installarion check to fail and that can't be easily solved. Mainly this.

I then decided (counter-intuitively) to build a CentOS 7.9.2009 from scratch (again) to install latest HPE IMC 7.3 E0710...but I've not finished my project yet (revamping an old production IMC 7.3 E0708 running on CentOS 7.9 since 2019). If interested I can try to summarize some details about my failures/success.

What I really miss is not seeing HPE IMC supported on RL/RHEL 9.x or SLES 15 too (SLES 15 and RL 9 fall well within my personal current "production comfort zone" in terms of rpm-based Linux distributions)...just to say.

• 5.  RE: IMC OS license

Posted Feb 21, 2024 03:37 PM

Thanks again for the feedback; much appreciated.