Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

Posted Nov 28, 2022 09:42 AM
    I used to have a seperate TFTP server for my Procurve / Aruba firmware but gave that up when I started using IMC, almost never needed it anymore.
    But today I needed to upgrade the firmware on a switch that I do not manage and is only here for a day.

In the end I added it to IMC to be able to update the firmware as I was unable to find what the TFTP patch is for the firmware images in my database. Also Google was not my friend today so I finaly decided to ask here. Where can I find that info? 
    What would I use on the cli in stead of my old line like :  copy tftp flash 172.16.212.9 hp/KA_16_02_0012.swi

• 2.  RE: IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

Posted Nov 28, 2022 10:07 AM
    Just get yourself any free TFTP server ie Allied Telesys

https://www.exploit-db.com/apps/0bf6d990948109b84ea8c645a2186ea5-at-tftpd19.zip

or https://www.solarwinds.com/free-tools/free-tftp-server

------------------------------
    spgsitsupport

• 3.  RE: IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

Posted Nov 28, 2022 10:15 AM
    Which would be a good idea if I needed it more then just maybe once a year ;-) But also why would I duplicate what is allready present in IMC? It has a TFTP server right? I just need to know what the path is and then I can use any image file present in the config.

• 4.  RE: IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

Posted Nov 28, 2022 11:26 AM
    If you do not want to have TFTP server then do not, nobody forces you!

It takes the whooping 800kb on the hard drive!

Regards

Seb

spgsitsupport

• 5.  RE: IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

Posted Nov 29, 2022 04:19 AM
    Seb, it is not about the disk space.
    It is about having more software on a machine and a keeping it updated all to duplicate something I allready have but do not know how to use yet.
    It is indeed a very simple TFTP server and I might use it the next time I need to do something else with TFTP when I am on the road.
    So it is not about getting a TFTP server, it is about using the one I have with the data is has that I need, but just do not know how to access.

• 6.  RE: IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2022 03:45 AM
    Hello,

The IMC built-in TFTP server saves to the directory <path-to-iMC>/iMC/server/tmp by default and the path is defined in iMC/server/conf/qvdm.conf file. You do not need to specify the path on the devices. Just run the command like "copy run tftp <imc-ip> <filename>" and that should be enough.

Justin Guse

• 7.  RE: IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

Posted Nov 29, 2022 04:27 AM
    Helllo Justin,

We are getting there. Indeed if I do not specify a path I can access the saved config files that were uploaded. Great.
    But now I want to access the image files and those are saved in a different directory. 
    On my Windows PC the command :
      tftp -i om1imc.staf.tio.nl GET running_3080180503.cfg
    works great, but
      tftp -i om1imc.staf.tio.nl GET H_10_113.swi
    does not. The images files are in <path-to-iMC>/iMC/server/data/image, so not even a subdir of tmp that I can access using a (relative) path. Anyone know how to solve this?

• 8.  RE: IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2022 07:38 AM
    Hello,

Both the image files and the backed up configurations are actually stored in separate directories, rather than the TFTP root. The running_... config file you mention is just a temporary file which IMC usually should move to the iMC/server/data/cfgbak directory as the final storage location.

Whenever you perform a software upgrade with IMC, it actually copies the image from the server/data/image directory to the TFTP root directory /server/tmp before transferring it to the device. So if you want to manually upgrade from the CLI using IMC's TFTP, you would also need to copy it over yourself first.

Justin Guse

• 9.  RE: IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

Posted Nov 29, 2022 07:42 AM
    At which point it is easier to use external TFTP server...

spgsitsupport

• 10.  RE: IMC tftp path for unmanaged switch

Posted Nov 29, 2022 07:45 AM
    Making a copy of the relevant image file to the tmp directory seems the most simple solution. I will use that in the future.
    Either that, or I will copy the file to my machine and start a simple TFTP server there for tjust the job.