Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

industrial Wireless Bridge Options

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  industrial Wireless Bridge Options

Posted 7 days ago

We used to use the 501 wireless bridge in some industrial scenarios.  With the EoS passed, i'm looking for alternatives.

One of my upcoming uses it to provide wireless connectivity to warehouse cranes. We have single terminals located in the crane cabs, which have poor reception in the cab (warehouse area has good coverage).  Our environment prefers some ruggedization due to the particulate in the air and the temperature.

We would normally install a wirelsss bridge with an omni antenna on the Crane bridge, with an ethernet link directly into the crane cab's terminal. Most of the Aruba AP's do the point-to-point mesh, but they seem like overkill on single device connection where a regular wireless bridge would suffice.

I'm interested in hearing what products would be recommended as alternatives to the 501.

• 2.  RE: industrial Wireless Bridge Options

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 7 days ago

You may consider an outdoor or hardened AP as mesh (or WLAN client) and bridging to the ethernet port.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: industrial Wireless Bridge Options

Posted 7 days ago

I'd prefer to do a pure bridging option instead of mesh to bridge, but this is the path i'm likely to take as this is the standard that Aruba has moved towards by discontinuing their bridging hardware. I'd consider a thrid party vendor with bridging hardware if it integrates with Aruba products well, if there are recommendations.

• 4.  RE: industrial Wireless Bridge Options
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 6 days ago

We normally recommend looking at PepLink, other options like Moxa and Siemens are often talked about.

Mesh can still make sense for cranes, especially when a PtP link can be used.  There have been some improvements with mesh in regards to faster roaming but the roam still isn't fast enough for most usages.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110