Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant AP and VLANs

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Instant AP and VLANs

Posted 9 days ago

First time/long time.  I'll preface my post saying I'm semi-comfortable in networking but haven't set up VLANs at home yet and want to know if what I'm trying to do is even possible.

My network:

Router running PFsense.  I have 2 POE unmanaged switches.  Aruba IAP-215 (also bought a few 315s for expansion but not deployed yet).

My desired config:

Create multiple SSIDs for IOT, work and home.  Since the IAP can tag a VLAN based off the SSID I'd like to have each SSID have its own VLAN on the router and affect traffic that way.  My concern is that the traffic passes through these unmanaged switches.  Will the VLAN tag remain on the traffic?  I've read that you need a managed switch, however since the IAP is tagging the traffic will that be sufficient?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Instant AP and VLANs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 9 days ago

Entirely dependent on the switch but most unmanaged switches will not pass the VLAN tag through.  At minimum you should be using a managed or "light managed" switch to support VLAN functionality.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Instant AP and VLANs

Posted 7 days ago

If you look at the switch make and model, 802.1q support is what you're looking for.

• 4.  RE: Instant AP and VLANs

Posted 5 days ago

Ended up finding a sweetheart deal on a Cisco 3850 variant that'll take care of present and future needs.  

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!