SD-WAN

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

Forum to discuss HPE Aruba EdgeConnect SD-WAN and SD-Branch solutions. This includes SD-WAN Orchestration WAN edge network functions - routing, security, zone-based firewall, segmentation and WAN optimization, micro-branch solutions, best practics, and third-party integrations. All things SD-WAN!
Expand all | Collapse all

Interface Bandwidth Trends

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  Interface Bandwidth Trends

Posted Sep 14, 2023 11:10 AM

Hey all,

I have an 2* EC-XL devices (Silver Peak) and I have setup 500 Mbps on each device deployed speed on twan0 (physical 10 G port) in EdgeHA, so total of 1G on both devices combined . However, in the interface bandwidth trends, the peaks show more than 1 Gbps at various intervals, for inbound and outbound both. I want to know how this is calculated? maybe I am reading it wrong? I could use some help please. I have added an images here, for inbound and outbound both at peaks. I appreciate the support here, thank you :) 

Inbound Interface Trends - August 2023
    Outbound Interface Trends - August 2023

• 2.  RE: Interface Bandwidth Trends

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2023 09:20 AM

The light blue lines are LAN traffic which are not limited like WAN interfaces.  It is possible to have more traffic on the LAN interfaces and less on the WAN interfaces with header compression on by default.  A picture of the deployment page would be helpful.  Also, a drill down on the peaks for micro-burst may help but you may only see that on a real-time flows.

• 3.  RE: Interface Bandwidth Trends

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2023 09:30 AM

Hi Sushant,

The peaks you see are only showing on the LAN interface (light blue). Can you confirm what speed the LAN is configured for?

It is 10Gbps capable so even though you have an aggregate of 1Gbps configure on the WAN the LAN can burst above 1Gbps especially if you have UDP traffic present.

Micro-bursts: Sometimes, data can be sent in micro-bursts which momentarily exceed the configured bandwidth limit. These micro-bursts can occur faster than the reporting interval of your monitoring tool, making it report higher peak bandwidth usage.

• 4.  RE: Interface Bandwidth Trends

Posted Sep 18, 2023 04:06 AM

Hi Mark, 

Thank you for your reply. The micro bursts that you mentioned, do they occur on the physical interface speed? or the deployed speed on the interface? in my case 500 Mbps? if it happens on the deployed speed, I dont understand how the bursts can go upto 800 Mbps.

Regards

Sushant