View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

InterVLAN routing help

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  InterVLAN routing help

Posted Jun 27, 2022 11:40 PM
    Hello all,

I'm new to VLAN world and looking for some help with inter VLAN routing.

I have a HP e3800 switch, which has a few VLANs setup:
    VLAN10 10.10.10.10 /24
    VLAN20 10.10.20.10 /24
    VLAN30 10.10.30.10 /24
    VLAN40 10.10.40.10 /24
    VLAN50 10.10.50.10 /24
    VLAN60 10.10.60.10 /24
    VLAN90 10.10.90.10 /24​

We'll use .10.0 /24 as the 'management' network, while the other VLANs will have various class of endpoints.

This switch is connected, via LACP trunk, to a firewall which is the default (internet) gateway.
    I'd like to understand how to configure the switch for inter VLAN routing and also the LACP trunk to the firewall.
    The switch can also be the DHCP server.

We also have a couple of HP 1820 access switches which will be connected to the e3800 via LACP trunks; these switches is where most endpoints will connect to.
    So I need to understand how to configure the LACP trunk between e3800 and the 1820 access switches.

I have done some basic setup on the e3800 - creating VLAN interfaces and assigning IPs.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated! Thank you kindly.

• 2.  RE: InterVLAN routing help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2022 04:23 AM
    Hi ITSubs,

to enable inter-vlan routing on your 3800 switch you can simply add the "ip routing" command. 

As for the trunks between the 18XX and 3800 switches you need to pick appropriate interfaces to have matching speeds, if you are going to use SFPs or DACs these have to be supported by the switches etc.
    For the configuration you would have to use the Web GUI on the 18XX switches, because these are web managed devices. The 3800 can be configured either via CLI or Web GUI. 
    The command to configure a trunk via CLI is "trunk <interface-list> trk1 lacp" or in the "Trunks" menu of the switch's web gui. 

I'm also linking some resources you might find useful:
    Aruba Basic Operation Guide for the 3800 switch:
    https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00108367en_us
    Aruba Support Portal(ASP) where you can find all available documentation and software for your Aruba switches:
    https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads;sort=VERSION_DESC;fileTypes=DOCUMENT;products=Aruba%20Switches;productSeries=Aruba%203800%20Switch%20Series;fileContents=User%20Guide

HTH,

------------------------------
    Toni
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: InterVLAN routing help

Posted Jul 07, 2022 03:32 PM
    Hi Toni,
    Thanks for the reply.

I will use the fw as DHCP server instead of the e3800 since that's an easier management option. This will require ip helper command in each VLAN on the switch, correct? The helper IP should point to the fw 10.10.10.1, right? I've also added a default static route 0.0.0.0 on the switch pointing to the fw 10.10.10.1.

Slight change from earlier design - we will not use a trunk between switch and fw; it'll just be a single wired link.
    What I now need some help understanding is the setup on the fw. I will define VLANs on the fw for DHCP purpose; what about the routes on the fw for each VLAN? Also, how should the switch port to the fw be configured in terms for VLAN tagging/untagging? Should the switch port to fw have tagged all VLANs except VLAN 10 which will be untagged?

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: InterVLAN routing help

Posted Jul 15, 2022 10:37 AM
    1. Step 1: Create VLANs (VLANs 10 and 20) on the switch. Description. Command. Enter global configuration mode. Switch# conf t. ...
    2. Step 2: Assign the VLANs to switch ports. Description. Command. Enter global configuration mode. ...
    3. Step 3: Configure the IP addresses on the router. Description. Command. Enter global configuration mode.