Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Introducing a backup standalone controller in aos 8

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Introducing a backup standalone controller in aos 8

Posted Mar 12, 2023 09:40 AM

Hello,

my customer has an aruba 7010 standalone with 16 APs.

Now they want to introduce a second standalone controller for HA and, reading various thread, i can see that there could be some problems depending on where the configuration has been made in the hierarchy of the standalone controller.

So what would be the correct procedure to introduce a backup standalone WLC if the configuration has been set at the wrong level in the primary standalone config hierarchy?

• 2.  RE: Introducing a backup standalone controller in aos 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2023 10:59 AM

If you had two controllers that share a VRRP and are configured independently, the second controller would take over for the first controller, as long as it is running the same version of ArubaOS and the Ap-group of the APs exist on both controllers, and the lms-ip for that Ap-group is pointing at the VRRP.  I am not sure how common this is, but that is how it would work.  You do not need any special connection between both controllers for the second controller to allow APS to attach and service clients.  The configuration just needs to be the same on both controllers. 

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Introducing a backup standalone controller in aos 8

Posted Mar 29, 2023 01:07 PM

Hello Colin and thank you for your answer, but this is not what I am asking for.

What I would like to know is how to manage the configuration hierarchy of a pair of standalone controllers, when I introduce the second controller (Standby-Master) of the pair  when the first one (Active-Master) is already configured and it has been configured at the specific level and not at the top folder in the configuration hyerarchy.

Thank you

Kind regards

Alessandro