View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

IP Helper PXE across vlans WDS vs SCCM PXE

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  IP Helper PXE across vlans WDS vs SCCM PXE

Posted Dec 08, 2022 03:24 PM
      |   view attached
    I have an Aruba ArubaS2500-48P switch.  I can successfully PXE boot if i set my vm to the same vlan that my pxe server is on vlan 150 in this case which is a servers vlan.  If i set my vm to vlan 100 which is for clients i dont get a pxe response back.  i have a dhcp-relay profile set for each vlan.  where .21 and 29 are DC2 and DC3 which have DHCP roles on them (windows server 2019) and .24 is my sccm server which also has the wds pxe server on it.  What i find interesting is if i am using WDS PXE responder in windows it works just fine across vlans but when i disable the WDS PXE responder and use the sccm pxe server it doesnt work, only on same vlan does it work.  Now i do have DHCP options 66/67 enabled.  see attached screenshot of that.  How can i fix it so the SCCM pxe server will work so i dont have to use WDS?

here is my switch config for the dhcp profile
    interface-profile dhcp-relay-profile "DHCP-Profile"
    helper-address 10.10.0.21
    helper-address 10.10.0.24
    helper-address 10.10.0.29

interface vlan "100"
    dhcp-relay-profile "DHCP-Profile"
    ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface vlan "150"
    dhcp-relay-profile "DHCP-Profile"
    ip address 10.10.0.1 255.255.255.0

• 2.  RE: IP Helper PXE across vlans WDS vs SCCM PXE

Posted Jan 25, 2023 10:31 AM
    anyone have any ideas?

• 3.  RE: IP Helper PXE across vlans WDS vs SCCM PXE

Posted Dec 17, 2023 11:58 PM

Hi,

you need to remove the DHCP options 60, 66 and 67 if configured. After that, add an IP helper address to the VLAN interface and send the request to the WDS server. This will prompt the WDS server to respond to the PXE request with the necessary parameters as per the DHCP request.

Refer: learn.microsoft.com

------------------------------
    Dinusha Chandrasinghe - MVP | ACMP | ACSP |ACCA
    Network Engineer
    Zone24x7 (Pvt) Ltd
    Colombo Sri Lanka
    +94717327420
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: IP Helper PXE across vlans WDS vs SCCM PXE

Posted Dec 19, 2023 12:04 PM

I disabled the policies in my dhcp server settings that were populating the above screenshot DHCP options and then deactivated them as well so that should have effectively removed those options.  I tested again and it still doesn't work across vlans.  both vlan interfaces, 100 and 150 have dhcp-relay-profiles set to dhcp-profile and the dhcp-profile contains the helper address for my wds server which in the case above is 10.10.0.24.  Do i need to add helper-address to the vlan interface specifically or should having it under the dhcp-relay profile not do the same thing?