Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is it better to Convert an IAP t o8,7 or straight to 8.10 or doe sit not matter

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Is it better to Convert an IAP t o8,7 or straight to 8.10 or doe sit not matter

Posted Jun 06, 2023 12:25 PM

We have 1 office that is still running in Instant Cluster for the Aruba Wireless setup with a lower version (8.3).  It is working fine but we will eventually want to convert the setup to be in Campus mode.

We have 2 Mobility Conductors running version 8.7 and all of our remotes offices have 2 Mobility Controllers (hardware) that are also running version 8.7.  When we eventually take a visit to that 1 location we will convert the Aruba WiFi to campus mode.  At that time the version installed on the Mobility Controllers will automatically update the Instant Access POints to be the same version level as the Mobility Controllers.     Since I am planning on updating teh environment to verison 8.10 my questions are:

1).  Should I proceed and update the Instant version to 8.7  then convert the IAP to campus mode and install the Aruba 8.7 automatically from the mobility controllers?

a.  Then after the IAP's are in campus mode and have version 8.7 installed, then  update teh controllers to version 8.10.

2).  Or should I update the controllers in that office to 8.10 and then when I am ready to convert teh IAP from instant mode to campus mode update directly to version 8.10.X?

------------------------------
    Stavros K

• 2.  RE: Is it better to Convert an IAP t o8,7 or straight to 8.10 or doe sit not matter

Posted Jun 06, 2023 12:32 PM

is there any concern of bricking the Instant Appc Pints 325 when hey are updated to 8.10 or is that only if the file size error comes up : https://asp.arubanetworks.com/notifications/Tm90aWZpY2F0aW9uOjEzMDM3;notificationCategory=Product

If my IAP-325 are not in the dangers zone for https://asp.arubanetworks.com/notifications/Tm90aWZpY2F0aW9uOjEzMDM3;notificationCategory=Product , is therea  problem updating the IAP/s from IAP-8.3 to Campus mode 8.10.0.2?

Stavros K

• 3.  RE: Is it better to Convert an IAP t o8,7 or straight to 8.10 or doe sit not matter

Posted Jun 12, 2023 12:40 PM

What if one had purchased 10 access points but only needed 8 of them and had the remaining 2 setup for backup purposes.  But we only every used 1 of the Acces spoints for a 'spare'.  The other backup just remained in the box.  

Will that other AP that came with version 8.0 and is AP-345 be able to upgrade to 8.10.X right away?  Or should it be updated to 8.7 and then to 8.10?

Stavros K

• 4.  RE: Is it better to Convert an IAP t o8,7 or straight to 8.10 or doe sit not matter

Posted Jun 15, 2023 07:27 AM

You can convert them from IAP 8.3 to CAP 8.10 directly. No need for intermediate steps. 

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Expert 2023