Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is the description field of a "set role condition" statement shown anywhere on the Mobility Master GUI?

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Is the description field of a "set role condition" statement shown anywhere on the Mobility Master GUI?

Posted Jun 26, 2022 12:16 AM
    Hi,

I have a large number of "set role condition macaddr equals '11:22:33:44:55:66" set-value SurfaceBook description "Bill's Surface Book'.

The role shows up in the wireless clients portions of the GUI, but I don't see the description anywhere. What good is it to have a field that doesn't do anything?

Is it just an eyecatcher in the config? 

Is there a place in the GUI where these are configured? Mine came from my old 6.5 setup, and I'm using 8.6 now.

The statements do match on the proper MACs and the roles are properly assigned. I can see the role in the GUI's client output, but not the description.

I suppose I expected the description to show up in the name field. As it is, the name and mac address are the same in the GUI.

Regards,

-Ambi

------------------------------
    Ambidexter

• 2.  RE: Is the description field of a "set role condition" statement shown anywhere on the Mobility Master GUI?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 26, 2022 08:59 AM
    That is a user  derivation rule.  It is  created under configuration, authentication user rules.  It is then applied to a AAA profile under configuration, authentication, ASS profiled, user derivation rules

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Is the description field of a "set role condition" statement shown anywhere on the Mobility Master GUI?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 26, 2022 10:48 AM
    Just rereading your question, yes, there is a description field in the GUI when you create a rule:

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 4.  RE: Is the description field of a "set role condition" statement shown anywhere on the Mobility Master GUI?

Posted Jun 27, 2022 10:04 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for your update!

I'm aware where it's defined now, thanks! But does the description show up anywhere? Looking in the Wireless Clients page, and selecting the "Customize Columns", I get many items to put in the columns, but "description" isn't one of them. (at least in 8.6)

Thanks,

-A

Ambidexter