Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IT Professional looking for Aruba upgrade for the house. Currently have 2 Aruba IAP-103s.

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  IT Professional looking for Aruba upgrade for the house. Currently have 2 Aruba IAP-103s.

Posted Nov 18, 2022 10:00 AM
    Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade the wireless setup at my house (1 level ranch). My current solution (2 Aruba IAP-103s) have served me well for the past 6 years, but I'd like to spend a little money to upgrade. I came across some IAP-225's for around $40 each, but I'm not sure if it would be a substantial upgrade to my current setup. My 103's were released in March 2014 and the 225's came out late 2013 believe.

The Amazon Eero setup seems tempting, but I have already ran CAT5e in the house to accommodate POE and prefer to keep that setup.

If I'm looking to spend up to $100 per AP (would be willing to go $150 if the upgrade is substantial), what is best available Aruba device (used is ok with me).

Since it's my house, I don't have an Aruba controller. It seems the Instant APs are the best solution for me. Right now, it's just my wife and I (dog doesn't stream much)

I appreciate any input. Thank you!​

• 2.  RE: IT Professional looking for Aruba upgrade for the house. Currently have 2 Aruba IAP-103s.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2022 05:13 PM
    For the money you have available the answer is going to be subjective to whatever the second hand market makes available to you. The AP 655 is the current flagship tri-band AP. You most likely won't find one of those floating around for sale. But if you look lower down the product line you will see availability rise (maybe) and price drop. I would recommend you look for something in the 3xx series, as a minimum if you can, as they will support WI-Fi 5. 5xx supports Wi-Fi 6. 

You could also look in to brand new Aruba Instant On. Some of the APs in that range may suit your budget and will power via PoE.

• 3.  RE: IT Professional looking for Aruba upgrade for the house. Currently have 2 Aruba IAP-103s.

Posted Nov 23, 2022 03:06 AM

I picked up some used IAP-335s of eBay for about $125 each. And an Outdoor IAP-275 for $100. I have cluster of 2x 335s and one 275 Outdoors and they work pretty well. They're now Wifi6 but are top notch access points with 2x 2.5GBEs on each. I have yet to try and see if both of those ports can be aggregated but even with one they work great. I could only afford to pair it with an InstantOn Class 4 PoE 1930 8 port switch, but if you can get one that can die 2.5 GBE with a Class 4 PoE you shouldn't have very many limitations. I can easily get 855Mbps out of my wireless setup so it's close to a standard 1Gig Ethernet connection. 

I've wondered if it were possible to put a Netgear Wifi6 Access point into the mix but I'm not sure if the roaming would work very well. I have about 45 wireless devices on 5 VLANs and they roam seamlessly in this configuration. Any of the 3 can take over and become the "Master AP Controller" which is accessed on a separate IP than the individual access points. 

My setup is a Collapsed Core Star Topology utilizing a Firewalla Gold as the primary IDS Router on a Starlink Connection. The InstantOn 1930 acts as my primary distribution switch feeding the 3 access points, LAGs to my Firewalla (3GBE ports for a 3 gigabit Routing Backplane), LAG to my Server Switch a 24 port Aruba 2920 Where my non client devices sit, and a LAG to a 48 Port Cisco PoE switch acting as a Client Access Switch tied to a patch panel. So far it has be a very robust system that has been able to handle a lot of IoT traffic, multiple cameras streams, and tons of client traffic without breaking a sweat or my bank account. I'd love to see a partnership between Firewalla and Aruba as I cannot love this setup more for a Home Network

• 4.  RE: IT Professional looking for Aruba upgrade for the house. Currently have 2 Aruba IAP-103s.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2022 09:24 AM
    Roaming between multiple solutions/vendors does not work great in general. Your Aruba APs now work together to support roaming and have session states shared. That will not work towards another product (not to Aruba controller solution either).

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------