View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

KVM Support

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  KVM Support

Posted Oct 16, 2023 10:20 AM

Hello,

I am trying to setup the Switch Simulator VM. I have the VM up and running in workstation, with workstation pro. 

It is showing me that the KVM support is false. I need to change that? I have tried the following steps and still not able to get it to work.

1. Changed BIOS to enable virtualization
    2. In order for my VM to work I had to disable the Intel VT-x/EPT setting

Any assistance would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: KVM Support

Posted Oct 18, 2023 02:41 AM

If you are running VMware workstation on Windows and have WSL2 enabled, it may be you must disable Hyper-V on your host and enable the Intel VT-x/EPT setting again.

------------------------------
    Arne Opdal

• 3.  RE: KVM Support

Posted Oct 18, 2023 01:19 PM

How do I check if WSL is enabled. I am using the powershell command wsl --list --verbose and I am not getting the read out I think I should be getting. Powershell is just giving me what looks like the help options.

• 4.  RE: KVM Support

Posted Oct 18, 2023 03:10 PM

Search for windows features and if Windows subsystem for linux is enabled its checked there.

Or just Hyper-V.

Arne Opdal

• 5.  RE: KVM Support

Posted Oct 18, 2023 03:35 PM

So I checked and I do not have WSL on my computer. From what I am seeing I cannot run WSL and Workstation at the same time. Do i need to have Hyper-v running?

• 6.  RE: KVM Support

Posted Oct 19, 2023 02:09 AM

I don't use GNS3 I just tried to give some hints. I don't run nested virtualization on my VMware workstation either. 

The simulator require 4 GB RAM and 2 Cores each, so I run the simulator in EVE-NG on bear metal to have the possibility to run some nodes at the same time.

Arne Opdal

• 7.  RE: KVM Support

Posted Oct 24, 2023 05:13 PM

Thank you for the help. I was able to figure it out and I have it up and running.