Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

L2 local dhcp IP assignment problem

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  L2 local dhcp IP assignment problem

Posted Mar 22, 2023 10:00 AM

Hello

In my test environment I have created a vlan just to be able to connect my AP to it, I have assigned a fixed IP address to it (172.31.100.102) and also to the virtual controlelr (172.31.100.103), it is physically connected to a L2 switch and its gateway is my star center and it responds to its vlan interface

When I create my Wifi network in the IP assignment and vlan settings:
    Client IP Assignment -> Managed by virtual controller.
    Client VLAN assignment -> Default

I can connect to my AP and I am assigned an IP address 10.254.98.216 with subnetmask /23

I can browse my internal network and go outside although obviously my devices don't have static routes to reach the devices on 10.254.98.0/23 but that's as it should be. 

However if in configuration->serverDHCP-DHCP local

I create a local dhcp, L2 with right vlan id and specify the parameters of the never subnet on that vlan so the 172.31.100.0/24 defining the GW and the internal DNS server.

I manage to connect to the network and also get an authentication via Clearpass, but my android client or windows PC whatever, connects and disconnects continuously from the AP as it does not maintain the connection, although I see that it is assigned an ip address from the local dhcp correctly, but the devices disconnect continuously.

What can this be due to? why with a DHCP local L2 my it gives this disconnection problem?

• 2.  RE: L2 local dhcp IP assignment problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2023 06:15 PM

what is the default DHCP Scope on your Instant VC?

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: L2 local dhcp IP assignment problem

Posted Mar 24, 2023 06:37 AM

In this DHCP server entry I did not set anything by default, because when I went to set the correct data, it told me that it overlapped the subnet where the Virtual controller is in my case the 172.31.100.x/24

so in local dhcp I created a local L2 type dhcp setting the network, subnet and GW 172.31.100.231 which would be the interface on my center star switch.

If I set this dhcp in the wifi network, I am able to connect, I am assigned the ip of the subnet and I am also able to authenticate via ClearPass, but the device disconnects and recolels over and over again as if it doesn't maintain the IP address.

whereas if I leave default IP assignment while I configure the wifi, the AP will assign me an address 10.254.99.0/23 then it will be THE AP to NAT all traffic

If after getting this dummy address, I change my card settings and set a static Ip like 172.31.100.x/24 I keep the connection and surf.

I basically can't get the AP to automatically assign an address of the required subnet.

In my network at the moment I have no DHCP server so it must be the AP that assigns the IP to the clients.

• 4.  RE: L2 local dhcp IP assignment problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2023 06:02 PM

thats strange. what firmware version are you using?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: L2 local dhcp IP assignment problem

Posted Mar 28, 2023 06:39 AM

it's very strange

Actually my firmware is: 8.11.0.0 SSR 
    Model AP is: AP 304

• 6.  RE: L2 local dhcp IP assignment problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2023 06:14 PM

check the release notes for the maintenance release 8.11.0.1 if it has any fixes for your issue, otherwise I suggest to downgrade to LSR version 8.10.0.6