Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Layer 3 VLAN Interface at Controller level or cluster level for controllers?

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  Layer 3 VLAN Interface at Controller level or cluster level for controllers?

Posted Aug 03, 2022 11:01 AM
    Hello, I'm in the process of setting up 8.10 to convert from 6.5.   Do I set the L3 VLAN IP's at each controller, or can I set it at the cluster level?  We're a small shop, so only two mobility conductors and two controllers in a cluster.

• 2.  RE: Layer 3 VLAN Interface at Controller level or cluster level for controllers?

Posted Aug 04, 2022 09:17 AM
    Bueller?

• 3.  RE: Layer 3 VLAN Interface at Controller level or cluster level for controllers?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2022 09:33 AM
    VLAN IPs are typically set on the controller level, because each controller needs to have it's own IP address per VLAN to avoid IP address conflicts.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: Layer 3 VLAN Interface at Controller level or cluster level for controllers?

Posted Aug 04, 2022 09:39 AM
    Thank you!!   Do you know if a document is posted somewhere to tell me best practices for where to assign policies?  Its a bit confusing coming from 6.5

• 5.  RE: Layer 3 VLAN Interface at Controller level or cluster level for controllers?

MVP
    Posted Aug 05, 2022 08:11 AM
    The SE from yuor Aruba account team should be able to assist.
    In AOS 8 most all the configuration is in an inherited tree structure under . Managed Network. It is recommended to put no configuration directly there.
    AirGroup configuration is a special case. I do not recall where that configuration goes.  We took that opportunity to totallt redesign our configuration from scratch.

am assuming a Mobility Condictor instead of Primary / Secondary controllers.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 6.  RE: Layer 3 VLAN Interface at Controller level or cluster level for controllers?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 05, 2022 08:44 AM
    This documentation may help in better understanding and getting best-practices.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.